What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Tip-up Perspex fit

rsr3

Well Known Member
I’m putting this out here for feedback...

I thought I was done trimming the Perspex as I’d got a good fit. I’ve since riveted up the canopy frame and started to prep for Sikaflex but I’m a bit concerned that around the “ears” the Perspex is not as flexible as it is further back. Will this reluctance to flex (where the curve is more compound) cause me problems when I clamp in the Perspex to the frame for gluing? It’s not far off; just not perfect. I don’t know when to call it quits and just get on with the gluing!

I think I will trim a little more off the Perspex in the area indicated that try and achieve a better fit. The left does seem to have a better fit compared to the right, which has a little less trimmed off.

By the way, I added a bit of a roll to the “ears” and they are fitting up against the Perspex quite nicely. I will try to keep them if I can.

Any thoughts while I’m going at it?! Thanks!

IMG_8862.jpegIMG_8864.jpeg

Can't really tell from the pics if you have spacers in between the canopy and the fuse. Sika requires a min 1/8" thickness when gluing so be sure and put the spacers in before final trimming. I used spacers for the canopy but not for the side skirts or the rear window. The back window had maybe 1/32' to 1/16" thickness after clamping and the same for the side skirts after riveting. All ok after 6+ years and 750 hrs flying.

I used 1/8" spacers for the rear part of the frame near the roll bar. I also used 1/32" monofilament line down the side skirts to ensure at least some gap. I did not use spacers on the leading edge of the canopy, but there is enough of a gap that i was able to get the nozzle in there and then wiped away excess with a finger leaving a nice fillet. its thick enough and the forces here are compressive (from the wind) that i don't think there is any worry. Also with the addition of the forward fairing, another opportunity to secure the leading edge of the canopy. I wrote a more detailed update on my blog. My process was based on Bruce's wonderful write up. There are lots of great resources out there with several different approaches, and some that work better than others.

Thanks, both. I have also superglued monofilament down the sides, and used lollipop stick spacers at the front edge and around the rear canopy frame / roll bar. It gives me a nice feeling to think that I might not have missed too much up to this stage.

I didn’t get to trim any further material off today, but when I do (tomorrow hopefully) I will report back.

Bruce’s website has been a real help. If you’re here Bruce, thank you!

Back