What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Aileron 705 Ribs

Hello from an RV7 builder in the West of Ireland.

I am currently assembling the Ailerons. The builders guide is unequivocal about the 705L & R being not symmetrical, and that the tooling holes are near the "bottom" of the rib (assuming when they are in place). Is this correct?

The plans show the left aileron with the A-705-R inboard and the A-705-L outboard. Keeping the tooling holes on the bottom requires that on the right aileron, the A-705-R is placed on the outboard and the A-705-L is on the inboard.

However, if the A-705-R and the A-705-L are not symmetrical and the ailerons are assembled in this way, then both ailerons will have a left-right "sense" and it will be in the same direction for both. Intuitively the "senses" should be equal and opposite, not in line with each other. I have been mulling this over in my head now quite a while and I am confused! Is this correct, are the ailerons assembled as described above?

If so why i.e. what does this design characteristic achieve?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
When faced with a confusing "handed" question, I usually assemble the part shown on the prints exactly how it is described. The parts left over will be for the other mirror assembly and the orientation will become obvious due to limited part selection and experience with the first assembly. Construction of the first part will educate the builder on the design intent. In this case, the left/right bit is to simply orient the rib flanges in the right direction (for easy riveting). The manual is correct. Keep the tooling holes low.

Last edited:
Aileron ribs

andrewbutler said:
Hello from an RV7 builder in the West of Ireland.
<snip>
If so why i.e. what does this design characteristic achieve?
Thanks for your help.
I don't have the plans in front of me, but typically the direction of the flanges are to enable access for riveting.

The 'left-right sensing' that you mention is actually 'upper surface-lower surface' sensing on the aileron. If you think of it that way, hopefully it will make more sense.

Duh!

I over analysed the instructions! It was so obvious to me that the ribs were asymmetrical in the vertical I wrongly assumed that that the reference to symmetry referred to the horizontal.........

Thanks for this. Andrew.

Back