What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7/9 TU Map Box Cuttouts???????

Brantel

Well Known Member
I am about to start cutting out my panel holes and need to know if I can trust the dim's given on the map box install drawings provided by Van's?

This is for an RV7/TU. I know I will have to cut the forward canopy deck rail off a little on the left side if I put it where Van's suggest.

I have not been able to figure out a way to arrive at another place to put it without cutting that canopy deck rail. Lots of constraints like the canopy frame hitting the top right corner of the box, the fwd canopy rail and the panel rib.

I have a 9A and it might be (I am not sure) different than a 7. Here are two pictures showing my installation. I only cut subpanel.

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

I actually regretted to install the mapbox. With my IFR panel I almost run out of panel space. The mapbox does take a lot of panel space. It also in the way when I try to reach the top behind the panel. After I finished my airplane, I have not opened the mapbox often. I keep map either on the side of the seat or in a center arm rest.

Last edited:
Worked ok for me

Hi.

We installed the mapbox on the left side of the panel since I've built the plane with the right seat as pilot seat.

We installed it according to plans but "mirrored" every number so it'd fit on the left side instead of right.

Other than that, Vans numbers where right on the money.

Sidenote: I've only 35 hrs on the plane so far and I'm very happy with it and I'm glad I put it in.

You are right to be concerned, it is a tight fit.

I am about to start cutting out my panel holes and need to know if I can trust the dim's given on the map box install drawings provided by Van's?

This is for an RV7/TU. I know I will have to cut the forward canopy deck rail off a little on the left side if I put it where Van's suggest.

Brian,
I was hesitant to cut into that side rail and raised my box up slightly above it. I had to modify the top corner of the map box to clear the tip up frame just as you surmised. It worked okay, but it did encroach a bit on the map box capacity. I wanted to leave some room below the map box door in case I needed more panel space later or needed to add electrical breakers in the future.

In hind sight I would go ahead and cut the rail per the plans. My box is quite a bit lower than Ted's 9 slider pictures and it still hit the tip up frame.

Its installation does definitly make bucking the forward top skin rivets a challenge, especially if you raise the map box up like I did.

I do use the box a lot and it is nice not to have loose items in the cabin to worry about if you do a bit of acro. I've only got 45 hours on the airplane so .. my two highly inflated cents...

Back