What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv7 / 9 Canopy guides 3d model to print

vertebrac

I'm New Here
Hi! I just installed this canopy guide I designed on my RV-7. It works pretty well; I used PLA. I don't have any flight hours with it yet, as the first flight is planned for next month. I hope this helps someone!
You can find the stl file here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6748182

Attachments

• canopyguideRv7.jpg
    canopyguideRv7.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 88
Nice! I was just getting ready to make a guide out of UHMW. UHMW will definitely stand up to more abuse, but I'm not sure it really matters for a guide. I'd suggest printing it in something with a little more heat tolerance than PLA (like PETG or ABS). Most parts I've made out of PLA that have gone into a car have warped badly due to the heat.

Nice! I was just getting ready to make a guide out of UHMW. UHMW will definitely stand up to more abuse, but I'm not sure it really matters for a guide. I'd suggest printing it in something with a little more heat tolerance than PLA (like PETG or ABS). Most parts I've made out of PLA that have gone into a car have warped badly due to the heat.
Thanks for the suggestion!! I will try the abs version

Thanks for the suggestion!! I will try the abs version
I would recommend ASA for its superior UV resistance over ABS. I’m not sure how long you have been 3D printing, but a few words of caution. Either ABS or ASA will be better than PLA due to PLA’s relatively low heat deflection temperature. General rule of thumb: the higher the print temp, the higher the working temp of the finished part. PLA will begin to soften, especially with physical stress applied, around 120-130F which your cockpit can certainly achieve sitting on the ramp in the sun.

- ASA will generally need to be dried prior to use. Many people complain that it is hard to print with, but it’s mainly because people don’t take the time to dry it first. You can get a Creality drier on Amazon pretty cheaply and it works very well. Dry ASA and it prints pretty much as easily as PLA.

- ASA, like ABS, releases VOCs during drying, printing, annealing, etc. you’ll want to be sure to vent outside. They both have an odor that is rather icky.

- ASA and ABS require printing in an enclosure. These can be purchased on Amazon as well, along with kits with an exhaust fan, tubing, etc. these filaments need temperature stability and higher bed temps to promote adhesion and print quality.

Any questions, just let me know.

As an interim solution, I might recommend trying PETG instead. Prints as easily as PLA, higher heat deflection temperature that so far hasn't been an issue in my cockpit... I printed a custom cell-phone holder with built-in wireless charger and it's been screwed to my panel for over a year in various sun conditions without issues.

But for the best durability I might further recommend taking that part and having it printed in Nylon using an MJF printer. You can get it printed with 100% infill, which will make it a lot tougher. And those guides do take a beating.

Back