What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Wing - Outboard Leading Edge Repair

Endeavour

I'm New Here
Patron
Need to repair the outboard leading edge. There is a possibility of a proper patch but overall it would be best cosmetically to replace the complete panel. Has anyone done same? Not sure when Van's changed over to pre punched panels (this is an older aircraft), so having the holes match might be an issue. The shaping of the 2024T3 .025 around the leading edge, would anyone have suggestions starting with 4' x 5' sheet? Thank you...

I helped someone do this on an aircraft that was before prepunched. You will need to add one or more access panels on the bottom of the wing aft of the spar. Vans has instructions for this. If you have prepunched it might be easier. Certainly doable.

You didn't describe the damage on the wing so I don't know if my input will be useful or not. I hit a duck with my RV-6 and had to repair a football-size cave-in in the leading edge. Here is the thread:

https://vansairforce.net/threads/joined-the-bird-strike-club-today.194892/

Page two of that thread has photos of the wood duck, er, buck I made to push out the damage. Hopefully there is something here you can use. Replacing the leading edge is a major job because the new skin has to be drilled to match the existing nutplates on the spar. There are ways to do this but it is tedious and requires great care to make everything line up. Instead of a flat sheet of skin stock you will be far ahead purchasing a pre-bent leading edge skin from Vans along with all the ribs.

Hope you can achieve a good repair!

Back