What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 trim system

grumman41

I’m currently doing research for a possible RV6 purchase. My end goal is to have two axis AP and most of the sixes are VFR. What type of pitch trim systems are typically in the sixes electric or manual?

Manual or optional electric

The standard pitch trim for RV-6/A was manual, as depicted on the plans, or can be upgraded to electric.
I have installed Dynon 2-axis autopilot in my -6A with manual pitch trim.
There is also an optional roll trim that is a simple spring bias control with a lever mounted between the seats.

Had an RV6 with Manual elevator trim & spring biased roll trim.
Now an RV7 with electric elevator trim & spring biased roll trim.
Both work well but will add this. If I purchased an RV6/7 with manual trim I wouldn't change it unless I was to add an A/P and wanted auto trim function ability

I have a -6 that originally has manual trim. I have Dynon Skyview with 2 axis AP and wanted to add electric trim so the Dynon could trim when on AP.

I was able to retrofit without replacing the elevator.

My RV-6A was built in 2008 and purchased from the builder.

It has electric pitch and roll trim. I consider the electric pitch trim essential because of the poor ergonimics of the manual pitch trim. i would be happy with the spring biased roll trim.

It has an altitude hold pitch servo. I only engage it when it's rimmed in level flight, so no need for auto trim.

It also has a coupled roll trim that is very handy. I'm quite happy with this relatively older technology.

It has electric pitch and roll trim. I consider the electric pitch trim essential because of the poor ergonimics of the manual pitch trim. i would be happy with the spring biased roll trim.

It has an altitude hold pitch servo. I only engage it when it's rimmed in level flight, so no need for auto trim.

It also has a coupled roll trim that is very handy. I'm quite happy with this relatively older technology.

I have no problem at all with my manual trim in my RV6A for 19 years.

Please educate me on the problems that you have had with RV6 manual trim.

I built my RV-6A with electric elevator trim & the spring biased roll trim. A few years ago I installed the TruTrack Gemini autopilot (now called the xCruze 110) but decided not to put in the auto trim module. I have not regretted it as the Gemini shows an arrow on the display when out of trim. I just tap my electric trim button a few taps and all fine. Someday, when I feel like getting under the panel again for some wiring, I may add the auto trim module but I am not in any hurry.

I have an RV-6A with electric trim. I bought the plane as a VFR platform in 2018 and upgraded to glass IFR panel in 2019, including Garmin autopilot. I did not do auto-trim. When the autopilot is engaged, I get an alert on the G3X if a trim adjustment is needed. I've had no issues with that.

It has electric pitch and roll trim. I consider the electric pitch trim essential because of the poor ergonimics of the manual pitch trim.

Many people will disagree with this view...

I flew a 6 with manual pitch & roll trim for many years and now have electric pitch trim only. I miss the roll trim. The manual was a better pitch trim system with far fewer failure modes. The only advantage for an autopilot is that autotrim will keep the aircraft in trim when it hands back control. But, a 6 does not need much trimming so its not a big deal. The autopilot display will announce when trimming is required.

I didn't prime the trim tab on my RV-6..... :D

(1999 RV-6; manual pitch and roll trim, Trio ProPilot.....everything works great)

Thanks for the great input, with my background ( no time to bore you) I have some concerns with electric trim that doesn’t have a warning and several quick ways to disconnect. In this category of aircraft I lean towards manual trims for several reasons, some that isn’t within the scope of this short response. One is being in IMC and having a trim runaway at low altitude(on approach) and having to deal with flying an out of trim aircraft by hand. I also like that losing elec power doesn’t affect the trim system.

I’m leaning towards Garmin gear so I’ll do some research to see what their requirements on auto trim are.

To follow up.
I found an RV6 much sooner than I anticipated and ended up with the best of both worlds (for my needs). I really like the manual trim and it seems to work fine with the Trutrack (sp) autopilot.
I had been in airplanes with a much larger speed range and was concerned about constant trimming as the airplane accelerates, slows, etc. More flights to come as I haven’t done any approaches yet.

Inhot, I just discovered this system as well. Seems intriguing and just what I am looking for as I am an occasional cross country flyer. I was looking at the G5 and AV30s to replace a very antiquated AI. The Super Eco is cleaner and less busy to my eye (with the added benefit of the autopilot control head built in). I am also very interested in any input from those are are using the system.

Back