What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 rudder question

grumman41

I’m going to replace my RV6 rudder at some point due to dents-rock pecks. Are the hinge points matched at the build time or will a pre built rudder fit on my aircraft?

I’m going to replace my RV6 rudder at some point due to dents-rock pecks. Are the hinge points matched at the build time or will a pre built rudder fit on my aircraft?

Not matched. But, the spar can be reused, and this has the hinge points and stiffeners already attached. You will need a new skin and the lightweight stiffener angles. The original skins were .016" but .020" is recommended as it will hold up better. There are metal working skills needed for this repair, so if you haven't done this sort of thing it would be a good idea to find a local builder who can help you.

Here are a couple of considerations based on my recent completion of a new rudder for my 1999 RV-6 due to cracks in the skin.

Yes, you can use the old spar if the old skin is carefully drilled off the spar, but the new skin will not be prepunched. I used a new spar because match-drilling the new skin to the old spar could be a huge hassle. It was easier to drill the new skin to a blank spar as was the case when the rudder was originally built. The old spar can be used as a template for drilling the new blank spar for the hinge points.

I made new stiffeners which were longer than the originals so a tab could be incorporated that attaches to the spar to prevent flexing of the skin at the spar and cracks. The new 0.020" skin is less susceptible to cracking but the reinforced stiffeners should eliminate that possibility.

The RV-6 rudder is common to the RV-4 and Vans had the skin, spar and tip ribs in stock for prompt shipment. I reused the hinges, plates, rudder horn, brace and fiberglass tips.

This could be an intimidating job for someone with no building experience or tools....an experienced builder with non-prepunched background would be a great resource. The biggest challenge I had was forming the rolled leading edge to fit my vertical stab, that was tedious.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of considerations based on my recent completion of a new rudder for my 1999 RV-6 due to cracks in the skin.

Yes, you can use the old spar if the old skin is carefully drilled off the spar, but the new skin will not be prepunched. I used a new spar because match-drilling the new skin to the old spar could be a huge hassle. It was easier to drill the new skin to a blank spar as was the case when the rudder was originally built. The old spar can be used as a template for drilling the new blank spar.

I made new stiffeners which were longer than the originals so a tab could be incorporated that attaches to the spar to prevent flexing of the skin at the spar and cracks. The new 0.020" skin is less susceptible to cracking but the reinforced stiffeners should eliminate that possibility.

The RV-6 rudder is common to the RV-4 and Vans had the skin, spar and tip ribs in stock for prompt shipment. I reused the hinges, plates, rudder horn, brace and fiberglass tips.

This could be an intimidating job for someone with no building experience or tools....an experienced builder with non-prepunched background would be a great resource. The biggest challenge I had was forming the rolled leading edge to fit my vertical stab, that was tedious.

My experience exactly replacing my 0.016 skins with new 0.020 skins 6 months ago except I reused the spar and upper and lower ribs. I think if done again I would get a new spar and not try to reuse my old one. I did a good job drilling out the old holes but there were a few I needed to drill up for over size oops rivets. And agree that forming the LE bend was a lot harder then I thought/remembered. I think partly due to the 0.020 skins and part that this time I completely formed them vs 20 years ago when I forced them together causing residual stress and then eventually cracks in the skin at the first rivet of the stiffener.

I am in St Louis at Creve Coeur airport and can give a bit of advise if you want to stop by.

New Rudder

I bought a new rudder kit and did not reuse anything. Just matched drilled the hinge fitting's. Lot easier than trying to match the old parts with the new ones.

Thanks for the input, the shop that will be doing the replacement and inspection has built several RVs. Sounds like replacing all parts is the way to go. It sounds like the skin isn’t pre formed?

Thanks for the input, the shop that will be doing the replacement and inspection has built several RVs. Sounds like replacing all parts is the way to go. It sounds like the skin isn’t pre formed?

The trailing edge is partially bent, the leading edge is not formed. The shop needs to be very careful about spacing the new hinges on the spar so they fit your particular vertical stab, there isn't any wiggle room.

Last edited:
Back