What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 gear leg support

Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Just inserted the long gear legs on our 4. Seems that I recall some info that the long legs don't need the wood support, am I wrong. What is the percentage of shimmy on those that didn't install the support? If it is a gamble I may wait and do it later if necessary. Any input would be appreciated.
Ted

long legs

I have the long legs on my -4. I opted to not install the additional wood dampers. The only time I notice any shimmy is when I taxi too fast. That's not the planes fault, it's mine! I tap the brakes a bit and everything's alright. I would not put them in now, 'cause it's not a problem. Some may have the problem with too much pressure in the tires, or something askew in the leg alignment, but I'm happy with my setup.

It is nice on a cold morning when the ConforFoam is hard, and I can see over the cowling when I taxi out, but taxiing back in I've settled in and have to peer over the cheeks or do S-turns. I flew in Dean Hall's -4 a few times, (short legs) and it seemed to be a challenge to not land on the tailwheel most of the time. I have the Sensenich metal prop (180hp) and appreciate the longer legs for prop clearance.

Jeff

Gear Leg Supports

Hi Jeff

I am at the point of starting the gear leg supports for my RV4 project, and if I am reading this correctly I have the option of not installing the gear leg stiffeners? If that is the case I will move on to the gear leg fairings.

Dayton

OK, stupid question here, but consider the source :D :

How do I tell the difference between the short and long legs?

This was a work in progress when I bought the project, already on the gear, and never really paid any attention to this!

I didn't put the shimmy dampeners on my RV-4 either. I get a shimmy when the pressure in my tires is too high.

Back