What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 prebuy

RNB

Patron
I expect to be going to look at and participate in a prebuy on an RV10 next week. I think the prebuy is being done with a person knowledgeable in the model but am looking for independent ideas on what to look for. I have several questions:

1. How many access panels are present on the 10? Where are they located? What tool likely opens them up?
2. How easy is it to access the back of the panel for visual inspection of connections, organization, or down the road updates? How is this done?
3. What are signs of build quality or lack thereof?
4. What are the things that would cause you to walk away?
5. Test flight, what to be aware of or look for?
6. Are there areas where additional access holes can or should be added? Where? How?
7. Other than flashlight, anything else I should take?
8. What else?

I am printing out the SB list to familiarize myself with potential issues.
I have the prebuy book!
I've read the tight nuts book.
Main known concern is lack of recent flying. Camguard used in the past, no documented use since 2021 though.
Oil changed 6/1/24 with no known flights since so I doubt doing a rush oil analysis will add any data.

I'm excited but not married to the idea. On my first plane, I waited until the 4th one I looked at to buy, so am able to exercise restraint.

1. Stock, there are 7 access panels under the wings (3 right, 4 left) and 3 on the emp under the HS on either side. Plus there’s the baggage bulkhead, tunnel covers, flap torque tube covers, dorsal fairing, and wing tips. There’s also side panels but those are a real PITA to remove and reinstall so not sure I’d do those on a prebuy. Then there’s whatever the builder might have added. You’ll want Phillips bits for #6 and #8 screws (maybe T10 and T15 torx bits too). Wouldn’t hurt to have an inspection mirror too.
2. depends on how the panel was built. It may pull out after removing some screws, your might need to pull an EFIS screen or worst case you’re on your back which will not be fun because of the sticks.
3. Poor rivets or wrinkled skin. An occasional bat rivet or dent is not a concern.
4. Generally poor workmanship, little to no documentation, not adhering to SB/SIs or even to ADs.
5. Rigging, any weird system installations /operations (think John Denver and the fuel system) and general performance once from takeoff to landing.
6. Would have to know more about this specific airframe to be able to provide a recommendation.

Reactions: RNB
Back