What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Rocket Steering Link vs JD Air Parts Tail Wheel Link

AV8ER

Well Known Member
I'm curious if anyone has a reason one setup is better than the other (or even a third contender if you have a better one). It looks at initial glance that the RV Rocket Steering link may have an edge as it has a built in tie down ring in it and is $20 cheaper.

1725456989932.png

1725457046493.png

500+ hours with the Rocket Link and Condor pneumatic tailwheel and this setup works great for me. Also running 380×150 mains.
Your tailwheel geometry is important especially with the Rocket Link. The tailwheel shaft needs to be as close to vertical as possible (see Flyboys website).

Used them all over 4 different airplanes and 1000+ hours -- Silverbullet, Rocket Link and JD Air. I stuck with the JDAir version. I like the blue anodized finish instead of the chunky-heatshrink-I-made-this-in-my-garden-shed look...

I also used the standard Van's fork for a while, then upgraded to the Bell fork and ultimately settled on the JD Air setup -- Ball & Roller/Needle bearings is far superior to the steel-on-bronze/brass affair.

IMG_4425.jpeg

Back