What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airport near Glendale California

Don Jones

Well Known Member
I will be going to Glendale, Ca. in September on a business trip. Hope to fly myself rather than the airlines. What airport recommendations do you have for the Burbank/ Glendale area. Van Nuys, Burbank, or Whiteman. I am thinking VNY but want input from someone in the know.

"Rosie" Knows best, Whiteman.

I have never thought of Van Nuys as GA friendly unless you are a rich dude with a big jet. IMHO

Farther east us folks at CCB are friendly and so are the folks down at CNO, but the traffic between here and Glendale is not so friendly :eek:

another vote for WHP

Add another vote for WHP. When I was based at SMO WHP was my out if the marine layer rolled in and locked me out of Santa Monica.

I would stay away from VNY, hardly GA friendly and definitely not RV friendly. If you don't mind spending $55/night for parking and treated like a predator than VNY isn't a bad choice. I landed there once looking for a place to tie down for the night and I was told that Raytheon was the only option. I walked up to a guy working on a Citabria to ask if there were any other options and he practically slammed the hangar door in my face.

Lots of friendly folks at WHP and parking on the ramp is only $5/night. Ask for the 4 Stacks Departure from ground tmcontrol and the tower will coordinate a transition of the Burbank Class C and hand you off to Burbank tower.

Back