What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airport info/advice: Gulf Shores, Ala.

tmillican

We will be vacationing in Gulf Shores, Ala. next week. We will be driving for the bulk of the family and flying the RV for the luckiest two.

We plan to use the RV to do some "flightseeing" and to give some rides to friends while we are there.

I was looking at Airnav reviews on the area facilities. Jack Edwards (KJKA) is certainly the most convenient from a location standpoint, but Foley Municipal (5R4) and Callahan (KCQF) are certainly possibilities.

Any recommendations from those of you who have been there previously?

Thanks,
Troy

Jack Edwards

Took delivery of my plane at KJKA. Great place. Jimmy B. sister's restaurant nearby. Big runways and no tower. Friendly folks. I had no trouble getting a hangar for a couple months so they may be able to hangar you for a couple days if you like. Good luck!

You should call Wayne

Troy,
You should call Wayne P. The fellow you bought your 8 from.
He vacations at Gulf Shores and knows the ropes.

Check out Dauphin Island while you're in the area too. 4R9

Have fun!
Mark

Last edited:
Awesome

Troy,
You should call Wayne P. The fellow you bought your 8 from.
He vacations at Gulf Shores and knows the ropes.

Check out Dauphin Island while you're in the area too. 4R9

Have fun!
Mark

Thanks, Mark, for the info.
I'll call him and get the scoop.

Thanks also to everyone else for the suggestions.

Also, try Fairhope, AL (KCQF) which is on the Mobile Bay. It's a neat little town. If you like sushi, go to Master Joes and get the "Russian Revolution".

on Dauphin Island (no services, just tie downs), after you land and tie down, There is a shelter with the numbers of the few restaurants on the island and they'll come pick you up.

Great advice

Greyhawk is top notch. Used them Labor Day. Good people.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
I did stay at Ferguson Air Services (formerly Greyhawk). They were excellent, as advised. Fuel was $0.69/gal cheaper than the other FBO across the field. Gulf Shores was a great location. Having the airport about 1 minute from the coast was awesome for taking everyone sightseeing along the shoreline.

Back