What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Friendly Airport/FBO/Ramp for Irvine (CA) visit?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
SOCAL Experts - I am going to be needing to drop into Irvine for day visits in the coming month to work with some colleagues on the magazine. I?m curious if Orange County has an RV Friendly ramp (ie, no ramp fees, reasonably easy access, etc), or if I should look elsewhere - I?ve been in to Fullerton a few times, and know how that works, but the drive would be a lot shorter from John Wayne. Any info would be appreciated!

Paul

Paul,

I'd recommend agasint a stay at SNA due to the high handling and tie down fees, as well as some of the highest gas prices in SoCal. Signature is a $50 service fee (waived if you buy 20 gal of fuel), and $30/night for a single engine. The current price of fuel is $7.82/gallon according to AirNav. There is also Atlantic at SNA but the prices are pretty much the same as Signature. Becasue SNA is under TSA control have to park at one of those two FBOs for access to the ramp, there are no other options for transient parking that I know of.

For proximity to Irvine I think Fullerton is your best bet. Fuel is $5.88/gallon and tie downs are $5/night (it might be $10 now, but I think it's still $5).

Close to Irvine those are pretty much your only choices, Torrance and Compton are both further north and Oceanside is pretty far south.

Concur, Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys - I kind of figured that would be the case, but wanted to hear it from "locals". Fullerton is easy.

KAJO

Corona KAJO is always an option, my home airport. Cheap fuel at approx. $5.35 per gal. Easy access to the toll roads that will dump you rite into Irvine. You can tie down for the day without any fees, just let Benny at the pumps know what you are doing. There is always a friendly crowd at the bench in the mornings. Best of luck in your travels.

local attractions

Mr. D:

If you do look at Corona, consider that Aircraft Spruce is right there- might save a few cents on shipping gotta-have items.

Chino has Planes of Fame and other attractions.

Flabob - the "other EAA" home- has a Wright Flyer, Cauthen Foundation, a taxi-up restaurant, a granite weather station, and a fun approach ("fly downwind to the cross; when you get too close, turn base.")

Do mind the TFR over the Magic Kingdom...

Thanks guys - I kind of figured that would be the case, but wanted to hear it from "locals". Fullerton is easy.

If you need ground transportation, you can always land at CCB and use my truck. That will be a longer drive than the other options listed.

Thanks all - good info. I'll see what works when I have to drop down there - and Gary, I have all the information you gave me saved quite handily - thanks!

Back