What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV fly by Mooney clip

hecilopter

Well Known Member
Video from this weekend going to Abilene. A buddy took his Mooney and we were just playing around doing some formation practice on the trip there. While we were cruising I broke off and did a 360 to get behind and then catch back up. As I was coming up on his 5 o'clock, I pushed the throttle to the stop and he started recording on his digital camera. We were showing about 206 MPH true on the Dynon when we went by. If you look closely, you can see us do a roll in the distance at the end of the clip. Made the trip more fun!

Click on the link below, then on the "Public" folder, then on the "RV Fly By" video. Sorry about the link!

RV Fly By

Last edited:
I'm getting a "Can't find server" message when I click on the link Rusty...

I gotta see this video!! Help me!!

Oshkosh sign

Did anyone notice the Mooney sign at Osh in which they claim to be the "fastest piston single?" At Osh in particular they might want to modify that to read "fastest production piston single."

Chad-
You need to show that to your buddy with the Mooney!

I was surprised ... I thought it would sorta creep past but you blew right past them! Was the mooney throttled back at all?

Thomas

Figured out my issue. Seems to be related to me having a Yahoo account as well. Once I logged out I could get to it.

Fly by

We were at 6500 MSL and the Mooney was at 2500 RPM and 24-25" MAP (whatever he could get with the throttle full forward). I don't know what his true airspeed was but he was showing 153 kts across the ground on his GPS.

I flew with him the whole way there (other than playing around). When I joined up on him, I was running 18" MAP and 2300 RPM to stay even with him. When we topped off after we returned, I had burned 6.8 GPH for the trip and he had burned 9.2 GPH.

The Mooney is equipped with an injected, IO-360 200HP Lycoming. I'm running a carbureted 180HP XP-360 Superior.

To be fair, when I did the fly by I pushed the RPM to 2700 and he was only at 2500 RPM.

I love these machines!

Last edited:
It's working now, but it says it's gonna take almost 20 minutes to download...even with DSL. :confused: I have no problem waiting for it, but did it take this long for you?

I find the "Mooney bashing" to be illogical in this case.

The RV7 has way higher power to weigh ratio because we are limiting ourselves to 2 seats with the "same" engine. If it DIDN'T smoke a Mooney, I would be pissed.

When we get passed by a Polen Special or a 200hp RV3 doing victory rolls, does that make their craft automatically better? Its the same comparison, but on the other foot.

When I need 4 seats, the Mooney looks pretty good.

This video reminds me of this summer when I was heading to the local fly-in with Piper. By accident I took a look to 8 o'clock and saw Lancair 320 making fly by and it also looked pretty much like this. I had pretty much full cruise power, but it didn't help much... :eek:

similar fly by

First of all this was a great video. Thanks for sharing. The RV's are pretty remarkable for having the gear out in the wind, don't you think?

I had a similar experience, only in reverse. I was level at 6500' and had the autopilot performing the flying duties. Often when in this situation I'll daydream a bit and look around at what was accomplished in the building and be both amazed and proud. It was one of these times when my wife put an elbow in my ribs and pointed to our 3:00 o'clock as a Cirrus SR-22 went by much like your video. She asked me "What's that, and why didn't you build one of those?" Priceless... I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Best,

I had a similar experience with a Mooney, leaving Sun-n-Fun last year. Unfortunately, didn't have a video camera handy...

We were climbing out of the dog-fight known as the SnF departure, heading northwest. We settled at 6500 ft due to much higher headwinds up higher. As we were cruising (my normal cruise, 165 ktas or so) I saw an airplane at about 10 o'clock and a few miles. What started out as a dot, slowly morphed into a Mooney 201, going the same direction, which we passed by at least 10 kts, about 500 ft off his right wing.

And yes, the Polen is a superior airplane to the RV. Just don't ask Dick about his wrenching/ flying ratio.

Back