What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV builder's group near LZU

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey guys.
I'm not sure if this is a corny idea or if there would be any interest but I'm going to throw this idea out there. I'm closing in on the start of my build (within the month) & my wife is quite the social butterfly. We have met some really great local builders over the course of the past couple months!!! The local EAA is awesome too but we notice a little something missing. Long story made short, my wife and I were/ are kicking around the idea of starting a local RV Builders group. We'd like to start / host something casual like a monthly social gathering of recently completed & current builders of RVs & their wives. Wine & beer etc. Just a kick back and socialize kind of thing. I can't tell you how helpful it has been to meet, talk to and work with a couple of the local guys & thier wives... Needless to say, we'd like to together with you guys out there. The wives can have their support group over wine & we can have hanger talk in the shop with some beers. :D would there be and interest in this type of thing?

Perfectly timed post, Daniel. Check your PMs...

I just relocated back up to the Atlanta area a few months ago and was looking to get back into the aviation/EAA mix once again. The wife and I were planning on coming up to the pancake breakfast anyway at LZU this Saturday, and I was hoping I could meet some of you who were currently building and she could get some info from a spouse's perspective as well.

Unfortunately the start of my build looks like it will be a ways off (I'm thinking at least a couple years), but I've been looking to meet some builders around here to get acclimated to the process and the skills required prior to starting mine. My wife loves to fly (so much so that she's usually asleep before we make it out of RYY's airspace), but I also want her to be on board and involved with the build. If the spouses had a "support structure," it would probably be better for all involved.

Anyhoo, if any of you local RV builders/flyers are going to be there on Sat., I'd love to at least be able to show the wife a completed aircraft and what she's about to get into. I showed her a few pics of the 7 online, and she likes them, but she's not sure she wants to be limited to 2 seats. I know it will be rough, but I may have to "settle" for building a 10 to make her happy. Who said chivalry was dead?

Perry

Builders groups

We did the builders group thing in the Carolinas a few years back, and had about 10 active builders. Actually had a Yahoo groups to keep in touch and each of us hosted gatherings at hangars,ect. They were great for info sharing,motivation and support..besides being fun! Did the cook-outs,(with adult beverages) and most all of us finished our planes:D

Bill-
Awesome! Thanks for the feed back on how your group worked out... That is exactly what we are trying to do here. I'd like to include some guys who have completed also for even more motivation :D.

Perry, don't know of any 10's based at LZU, but sometimes some are there for the pancake breakfast.

You can count me in for a builders group.

Perry, I am building a RV-10 if you want to see one under construction nearby. Not much to sit in yet, but should be in the next couple of months.

Bill

Hey Daniel, I think its a great idea to have a local builders group. Count me and the wifey in if you get it going.

Not much to sit in yet, but should be in the next couple of months.
Bill

Dont let Bill fool you - at the amazing rate he's going at it will be flyable in the next couple of months ;)

Brian.
Are u sure you want to drive out here from Marietta? Oh yeah wait, both you and bill will be flying in a month or two... ;) so flying out here will be no big deal, right? Are you guys coming to the breakfast again this week?

Breakfast

I won't be able to make the pancake breakfast this month, my sons have their birthday parties on Saturday morning.

I wish I would be flying in the next couple of months :). I am making great progress. Will have it on the wheels you gave me tomorrow if all goes well.... too bad they are just temporary wheels.

I have to get over and look at yours (Brian and Brandie) and study how all the fiberglass goes together.... already received my Epoxy order.

Bill

I dont think we're going to make it to the breakfast this time. We're on the home stretch to completion and the last 3 Saturdays I have spent out having fun so this weekend I'm going to stay in the shop :)

Perry, don't know of any 10's based at LZU, but sometimes some are there for the pancake breakfast.

You can count me in for a builders group.

Perry, I am building a RV-10 if you want to see one under construction nearby. Not much to sit in yet, but should be in the next couple of months.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I really appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on it. I've been working around metal aircraft for a little bit now at work, but there's still way too much I need to absorb to be able to tackle something like my own build. And if you need an occasional helper, let me know...I'd love to help any way I can.

Hey Daniel, I think its a great idea to have a local builders group. Count me and the wifey in if you get it going.

Since I didn't actually say it in my first post when I thread-jacked you into talking about the breakfast on Saturday, count us in for the group as well. We're down in the N. Decatur/Tucker area so it's not too far for us to come up there or vice versa.

Good Idea!

Hey Guys,
I'm not a "builder" yet, but hope to start a 10 over the summer. I'm in the process now of building a shop....to build the airplane in.:)
I've met Brian (missed Brandi), and was very motivated by my visit to their shop. Think it would be great to meet others in the local area for friendship and moral support during the build process.
Count me in!
Shawn

I'll try.

I'm gonna try and make it to LZU on Saturday so all you -10 builders/wannabe builders can sit in, drool on and feel my airplane:).....as long as Brandi's there, BRIAN! :)

Best,

I've been trying to make all the breakfasts, but I won't be out for this one...spending the weekend in sunny California. I'll probably come out for the Friday night meeting, though.

Since I didn't actually say it in my first post when I thread-jacked you into talking about the breakfast on Saturday, count us in for the group as well. We're down in the N. Decatur/Tucker area so it's not too far for us to come up there or vice versa.

I wonder if you're close to my previous residence; I was right on the Decatur/Tucker/Clarkston DMZ. Nowadays I'm half a mile from PDK and I get to listen to airport noises all day long. Mostly enjoyable, but it can be tough to be productive in the garage when I have to run outside every time I hear something interesting. :)

...I wonder if you're close to my previous residence; I was right on the Decatur/Tucker/Clarkston DMZ. Nowadays I'm half a mile from PDK and I get to listen to airport noises all day long. Mostly enjoyable, but it can be tough to be productive in the garage when I have to run outside every time I hear something interesting. :)

Pretty close. We're just over 3 miles southeast of PDK, so when the jets are on a right base for 2R, they come right over the house. And of course, I have a very similar reaction to yours.

Thanks, Bill. I really appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on it. I've been working around metal aircraft for a little bit now at work, but there's still way too much I need to absorb to be able to tackle something like my own build. And if you need an occasional helper, let me know...I'd love to help any way I can.

Any time. Never hurts to have another hand. Daniel has come by a couple times to help. Don't worry about not knowing enough to tackle your own build. You just need to read the manual and follow the directions. (At least for the first 1/3rd of the build). Looking at your blog sounds like you are in the same situation as me... 40's and children. When I started I planned on the 5-7 year build, now that I am 1 year into it, I have enjoyed the build so much that I have been working on it a ton, and it looks like it will be right at 3 years. (And the family has not complained once about me being in the shop too much).

Martin (Walkman)-
I will definately keep you on in the loop. At this point we're thinking of getting something together for the beginning of april.

RVers welcome at the EAA Chapter 690 Pancake Breakfast

Piasanos,

Rvers are definitely welcome at the EAA Chapter 690 breakfast, which begins at 8:00 a.m. this Saturday at Lawrenceville Airport (LZU, EAA ramp). We usually are innundated with hot and cold running RV projects and flying aircraft. It is a great place to meet and discuss everything RV. This month we have a great speaker to discuss Aeromedical issues.

Please feel free to collar me at the Pancake Breakfast. I would love to discuss EAA 690 hosting an RV squadron. I believe that we have some incredible human and tangible assets which would help the cause.

Hope to see you all there.

Glad to see so many posting from our good club EAA 690,

I am sorry to have missed the pancake breakfast but had to fly the boss down to Scottsdale for a week be back in town on the 12th. Fuselage and finish kits are due in on the 19th by Tony Partrain on his way to Sun in the Fun so I hope I am at home when they come... yehaw!!!!!
Sorry I missed you Pierre,

Smilin' Jack
RV 7 N507H reserved
Wings and empenage done.
waiting....waiting...

Meeting up April 14th

Hey guys. We are planning a gathering at my place on Saturday April 14th, if you are interested in joining in on the RV builders group, please send me a message with your email address. Im send out an invite soon as i gather everyones email address. We're planning on a BBQ style gathering. We'll provide everything, burgers,refreshments & adult beverages.. I already have info for bill, Perry, Bryan & brandy. I'd like to include martin and the other guys who chimed in also. As a side note, I'm still waiting to hear something back from the 690 about doing this group within that EAA chapter. I may find out more about that at the breakfast this saturday.

i've been meaning to make it up to LZU for one of these events, but it cuts into my build time too much

EAA 690 should be your home!

Guys,
I had the opportunity to meet some of you at our March Pancake Breakfast. As I said then, we at EAA Chapter 690 would love to host a RV group. We have a large gaggle of RVers in the chapter already and we would love to have more.

The chapter hangar would be a perfect facility for any RV gatherings. Our members are warm and welcoming. What's not to like?

Please come see us at the April Pancake Breakfast this Saturday. I will be there early. I would love to discuss hosting an RV group.

Steve Ashby
Pres. EAA Chapter 690

I won't be able to make it on the 14th, but I will be at the breakfast this Saturday. See you folks there!

Back