What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv-9a with I0-360 engine

onn2nn3

I'm New Here
With an I0-360 engine and Hartzell constant speed prop installed will I have to fly off 25 or 40 hrs in my RV-9A?
Thanks,
Michael Lewis

engine/prop combo

If the exact same engine/propeller combo (make/model) has been certified for use on another certified aircraft, then you'd most likely get the 25 hours.

If the engine or prop is made for the homebuilder market, then you'd get 40 hours. For example you could have a brand new Lycoming made for a Cessna but use say a Catto prop, then you'd get 40 hours. Or vice-versa... if you use say a C/S prop off say a C-182 but have a kit-built engine that you'd also get 40 hours.

It's all up to the DAR in the end but in general they stick to this system. Does that make sense?

Time required in Phase I test fight area

FAA Order 8130.2 (latest is Rev F with Change 2) has the requirements that the FAA ASI or DAR MUST follow for the time required in the flight test area.

The current order can be found:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/18b1d64bc8f90136862571d40072d8e1/$FILE/Order%208130F%20with%20chg%202%20incorporated.pdf

From 153 b (3). [Page 162]
"The FAA requires a minimum of 25 hours of flight testing for an
aircraft with a type-certificated engine and propeller combination installed.
A minimum of 40 hours is required when a non-type-certificated engine,
propeller, or engine/propeller combination is installed. ASIs may assign longer test hours when it is necessary to determine compliance with ? 91.319(b)."

That being said, you could use a 540 and get 25 hours but the ASI or DAR COULD make it longer if in their opinion the engine is TOO large for your aircraft.

The ASI and DAR's are both taught that "The applicant must show and the FAA must find that the applicant meets the requirements for the certificate requested." In plain english, YOU must show that the engine and prop are type certificated to get 25 hours.

IMHO, many ASI and DAR's would give you 25 hours with a (I)O-360 and prop that is Type Certificated and all AD's are complied with even though Van's aircraft does not recommend the 360 be used in an RV-9(A) but some MAY not.

I'm curious to know why you would like an IO-360 w/ C/S on an RV-9/A? What's the benefit over - say - the IO-320 w/ C/S?

High altitudes

Hi Robert,
This question was addressed earlier and the response was that they were flying off 10,000' high airports and felt that the extra horsepower was justified, especially on hot summer days and near gross weights. That, plus having to fly over peaks that were higher still. At cruise you can just throttle back to stay under VNE and burn near the same fuel as an 0-320 would.

Regards,

pierre smith said:
Hi Robert,
This question was addressed earlier and the response was that they were flying off 10,000' high airports and felt that the extra horsepower was justified, especially on hot summer days and near gross weights. That, plus having to fly over peaks that were higher still. At cruise you can just throttle back to stay under VNE and burn near the same fuel as an 0-320 would.

Regards,

There it is! I live at near sea level at that never has been a concern for me. Does the narrower/longer wing design of the -9 help as well?

I guess I don't get what the worry is about having 40 hours to fly off versus 25... I don't feel like I'll be able to fully explore every corner of my airplane's envelope even in 40 hours, and I certainly wouldn't feel good about carrying my loved ones in the plane after only 25 hours of testing, certified engine or not. That's just my opinion though.

Plus, having to fly more is good! :)

mcb

That's a very good point Matt. You really can't do a full test program in 25 hrs.

For all those thinking about "supper sizing" the engine in their RV-9, there is one thing that most -9 builders probable don't realize.

There is a BIG difference between the engine mounts used in the -9 and those used in the -7, which is designed for up to 200 hp.

The -7's mount has gusset plates welded on by the engine mounting pads, the -9 does not.

It is my suspicion that these gussets help offset the additional torque of the larger engines. If this is a requirement for the acro the -7's are capable of, I do not know.

If you are going to supper size your engine, I would ask Van's if the -7 and -9 engine mounts are the same length, and if they are, order the -7 mount.

Legal Disclaimer: This is not to be considered an endorsement for larger than designed engines. Flying, like dating, is dangerous and all caution should be used. blah, blah, blah?

Back