What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Wing Tip Q

greg_cyow

I'm New Here
I have the preview plans set for the RV-9A and I am tinkering around with some designs for LED-based Nav Lights. Yes, I realize my cart is way out front of my horse, I know that you have to build the aircraft before you can install lighting. :)

Anyway...The preview plans do not give the dimensions for the recessed area on the sheared wingtips that come with the current kits; where you would typically install the position and strobe lights.

Could anyone help me find those dimensions?

Thanks

Greg Holbrook
Ottawa, ON
RV-9A, Planning stage

Automotive LEDs

I bought some 1157 automotive LEDs (sunbrite brand, I think at mouserelectronics.com). Here's what they look like during my testing. I will make the holes bigger and mount them flush using silicone adhesive. They last forever so no need for sockets or fancy stuff. :D The green is higher priced than the red. Overall is less than $40 for the entire solution. The same can be done for position lights.

Led4.jpg

Jose Borja
Elk Mound, WI

You may want to check with your local DAR. The FAA has specific requirements on total light output for navigation and position lights. Otherwise, they're a fantastic idea. Post something when you find out.

Jorge Fernandez
RV-9A N214JL(Reserved)

Regs were checked

Good point. I looked at the FAA regs and the automotive lights exceed the candle power requirements even at the maximum viewing angle (head on).

Also, remember these are lights that power auto brake lights during the day. The dual light set-up exceeds the requirements for the angle of viewing (perpendicular to the line of flight). I am also using white parking LED lights for POS lights? I will drill a small hole in the trailing edge of the wingtip and shape a small bubble around them. My plan is not to have any wires going to the tail at all.

All the electrical stuff will be in the wingtips. The strobes will come from Strobesrus using automotive power supplies as used by Emergency vehicles at a fraction of what the ?aviation? grade costs. The entire package should be under $350 for strobes, NAV, POS, landing/recognition, and police flasher.

Jose Borja
Elk Mound, WI

Back