What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Wing Root Fairing Connection to Wing

24Golf

Well Known Member
We are having some "plan reading" issues... on the plans it shows several holes on the inboard most row of the wing skins that do not get riveted during the wing building phase. It also says not to dimple the "skin" for these holes... Our question is, should we dimple the wing walk doubler and the inboard rib where these holes are? AND... since we have already dimpled all of the holes in the inboard rib on one wing, will that cause a problem when we connect to the fairing later on?? (the rib has been primed and riveted to the main spar and rear spar) Are we being to literal here??? When it says don't dimple the skin, should we carry that to every "layer" under the skin?

Thanks

Maybe . . .

Maybe a little too literal, yes. I left mine open/undimpled, expecting to machine c/s and add platenuts per drawing #38, section D6.

Rick 90432 wings

****, mine are dimpled, and the skins are riveted on. I wonder if I can get away with flattening that whole fat layer of skin/doubler/rib.

At least I left the appropriate rivets out!

****, mine are dimpled, and the skins are riveted on. I wonder if I can get away with flattening that whole fat layer of skin/doubler/rib.

At least I left the appropriate rivets out!

This is not a big deal. Drill out the rivets from the holes you want to use before you mount your wings (unless you left them out like you did). Add in countersunk nutplates. Use a strap duplicator to match drill the fairing when you get the wings on. Dimple the fairing.
I used double the spacing, at 6" I believe instead of the 3" called out on my 6. There is very little puckering, unnoticable, and still way more screws than necessary to hold the fairing in place. The 6 also called out #8 screws. Not sure what they are doing with the 9.

I can only imagine they changed the plans away from dimpling as the fairing might have a chance at laying flatter, but as noted, it will make very little if any difference.

Thanks guys... I feel better knowing that I don't need to rip out the rib that I did dimple. I will leave both skins undimpled at those locations.

PAUL

Back