What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Rudder Pedals

I just wanted to show off the pedals my brother whipped up on his HAAS super VF2. They should work pretty nice and they look great.
worklog_image_popup.php

Nice!

I just wanted to show off the pedals my brother whipped up on his HAAS super VF2. They should work pretty nice and they look great.
worklog_image_popup.php

Nick what kind of material is that? What kind of tool is HAAS VF2? Also how did you paint the sign RV-9A on them? These pedal extensions are good alternative to aftermarket ones they sell for lots of money. Does your brother plan to offer them for sale?

I just wrapped my pedals with braided hose ( saw it somewhere here on VAF) and secured with tyWraps. They are not pretty at all.

Last edited:
It is nice to have a CNC machining center (Haas VF2) to cut the parts for you. It is not going to be cheap I assume.

Gee, with all the stuff that people do for the rudder cross bar, I never, ever use the rudder cross bar at all (I don't think). All of my rudder action is applied, at all times, on the outside of the brake pedals on the down tube. Even with big extensions, I don't think I would be able to fly my airplane with the intent of pushing on the bottom rudder cross bar, I think it would kick me out to go have its own good time :). Are you guys using your heels on the lower rudder cross bar? I'm pretty sure I have my cockpit setup such that my heels wouldn't be able to touch the bottom of the rudder pedal much past center. Works great for me.

Scott,

I have to agree with you. In the 527 hrs flight time I have yet used the cross bar. I also use the outside of pedal down tube. I move my foot in to press the brake when needed. By positioning my feet on the side, I never dragged the brake during taxi.

Honestly, I've never flown any RV yet. Just reading all relevant suggestions, trying to educate myself and improve things.

Scott, Ted, thanks for good lesson and wonderful websites you are maintaining. I am logging in pretty much every day.

Properly built, the rudder pedals would work like any other rudder pedal in a Cessna or Piper etc. etc.........................

The pedals on the 6 were too low, they changed that on the 7 + 9 so if you build the geometry of the the brake plate right, there would be no problem with dragging the brakes.

But springs on the cyl's do help return the cyl's to full open position.

Last edited:
I fully agree with the need for springs for return on the stock master cylinders. Mine are rigged as such from the git' go and never a problem with dragging. We changed the brake pads at about 200 hrs., with a huge number of landings bringing Tanya up to speed and they were only about half gone. Still, It is hard to imagine driving the rudder pedals in our -9a like a Cessna or Piper with the heels. Great machines, each is different.

Properly built, the rudder pedals would work like any other rudder pedal in a Cessna or Piper etc. etc.........................

The pedals on the 6 were too low, they changed that on the 7 + 9 so if you build the geometry of the the brake plate right, there would be no problem with dragging the brakes.

But springs on the cyl's do help return the cyl's to full open position.

May be it is the position of the leg and foot, I definitely feel very different applying RV9A rudder pedals than that of Cessnas and Pipers.

As for the spring for the master cylinder, I did not install such springs and have never experienced any problem. I know it is a real concern for a lot of people. I am just lucky not having such problem. My first set of brake pads were replaced after 460 landings (312 hrs). I still have 0.14' left on the pad (limit is 0.1'). I do notice that after using parking brake, I have to tap the brake to release it. I usually don't step on the brake for long. I prefer taping on the brake if possible.

The pedals are aluminum, they are powdercoated black and with the raised letters it was easy to sand it off. He probibly would sell them but he has a lot of time in them so they wouldn't be cheap. If you are interested I can give you his email address.

Rudder pedals your brother did

Hi Nick please give me your brother's email address I would like to ask him something.
Regards,

I have size 10-1/2 feet and the standard 7/9 rudder pedal configuration. Even without carpet there is no way I could use the lower rudder pedal tubes. The balls of my feet are well up on the brake pedal with heels on the floor. I agree that the use of the outside side tubes is by far the most comfortable. Anything on the lower tubes would just get in the way and be extra weight.

After experiencing dragging brakes on my 9a (and with the fix being to wrap 3 diameters of hose around the cross tube), my Harmon Rocket has a different fix.

I remade the brake pedal so that the lower brake mounting point is further down. This tilts the brake pedals back by about one inch. FYI this is what the F1 rocket guys do as well.

It didn't take long to redo the pedals, and it's a lot lighter and cheaper than adding aftermarket fixes.

Vern

rudder pedal extensions

I been flying with rudder pedal extensions clamp onto the original RV rudders with just four screws. These are really made high quality and they are made by a qualified machinist using computer controlled equipment. Have been very satisfied and just ordered their rudder trim. Check out their website https://www.mlskunkworks.com/Home_Page.php

Squeak
RV7A
Southern Indiana

Back