What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Insurance

N523RV

Well Known Member
Gang....

I'm getting close to finishing so I fired off an application to NationAir for a quote request. I have 106 hours TT, 5 hours of tailwheel, 5 hours/endorsement for complex. I also have an RV-9A endorsement from Sam Benjamin. I'm getting transition training right now in an RV-6A. I listed my wife on the quote who only has 70 hours and no RV time. I intend(ed) to do the Phase 1 testing myself.

AIG declined to give me a quote! They didn't want me flying the test hours due to my low TT. If I had someone fly off my time, the 'indication' was $2800!

To be honest, I was floored. I had not anticipated getting insurance to be a problem at all.. and now I'm faced with a pretty large premium IF I have a test pilot fly my time. (Indication was the first 5-10 hours.)

I'm curious what my fellow RV-9 flyers have experienced. What sort of premiums are you paying based on Total Time? Did you fly off your hours?

I've asked for a new quote removing my wife from the quote until we can get her hours built up and an endorsement for her.

(Reply off list if you desire.)

Frustrated...

Wow, very interesting as I'm going to be in a very similar situation. I only have a little more than twice the total time as you and will have a very low time wife... (pilot total time that is! :)) Same deal. Keep us posted with what you find out.

Three problems

I suspect there are three, actually four problems that will effect the insurance on the 10. a) Low time - just means ya have to fly a bunch more! b) You'be been flying a 4 cyl, does it have a CSP or not? But it has two seats. So moving to the 10, with a 6cyl, CSP, and 4 seats to the insurance Co is a different model, while still the same make. With a 6 cyl, it will be considered "high performance" and that then puts you in a different type as well. c) Also, they have no "basis" for the insurance because this model is too new... and probably the last factor.... The insurance companies were beat up good last year, all my av insurance went up, even tho I crossed the 750TT barrier.

AIG is some of the lowest that I've found for just about anything that falls in the above categories. So, ya just might have to buckup and take it.

E.g. A Lancair Legacy FIXED GEAR with an IO-550 at a 175k hull is gonna be $3200. You should save over that due to the lower hull value or your 10, but then you trade that for 4 seats, etc.

Last year for example all the Cessna 210 and 206 drivers got hit with a huge rate hike because of 6 seats.

It really comes down to how much risk the insurance company is will to take, how much data they have on a specific make, AND MODEL, and how proficient the owner is.

Sorry, but it's becoming a fact of life in aviation now a days.

Alan

Low time...

Scott... sounds like if you have a couple hundred hours you'll be OK for flying the test phase.. but they do quote the premium based on the lowest time pilot on the application. If your wife is low-time... work on her to build up some time.

I'll let everyone know how it goes...

additional pilot?

If you listed your wife as an insured pilot with 70 hours and no RV experience? that may be the reason for the higher quote. I think they quote based on the lowest time pilot on the policy. I'm really not sure. Did you talk to Mr. Helms at Vanguard. He monitors this forum sometimes. He may be able to shed some better light on your situation if you call him directly. Jack

forgot to answer your questions

I had 630+ total hours (VFR). 8 hours in an RV6A transistion training. Was insured for and completed 1st flight and test flights. $60,000 hull. $1600.

I'm working with one of JT's gals... she is getting a new quote without my wife listed on the policy.

Insurance Surprise

After reading these entries, I called Avemco who carries the insurance for my C-182. I now pay 1116- full coverage but only 50K hull; Avemco quoted me 3049 for an RV7/7A! I've got 1200 hours and an instrument rating.

Guess I'd better call Jim Pappas!

Roger

RSmith said:
After reading these entries, I called Avemco who carries the insurance for my C-182. I now pay 1116- full coverage but only 50K hull; Avemco quoted me 3049 for an RV7/7A! I've got 1200 hours and an instrument rating.

Guess I'd better call Jim Pappas!

Roger

:eek: wow, are experimentals that much greater risk that insurance co. triples the premium for a less costly plane?

Jps

7a Rate ...

I went with the same company that's been insuring me in my Grumman for years - Aircraft & Marine Assurance Agency in Vancouver WA. I am a VFR rated pilot with 780hrs TT, 180 in the RV. 70k Hull with 1MM liability came out to $1,597. Might try them ? 800 466 4944

Insurance

JPS,

Yes, they do consider it a higher risk but no it shouldn't be triple the premium for less hull.

It IS more but not normally that much more.

Average (if there is such a thing) for an RV is probably more in line with $1500-$2500 depending on hull amount, type and pilot experience.

Some Carriers are better at Builders Insurance some are better at Flying rates.

An 8 taildragger will usually be more than a 9A.....

Just some very broad basics. These numbers will vary, your mileage may be different, yada yada....

Hope it helps some.

jimpappas said:
JPS,

Yes, they do consider it a higher risk but no it shouldn't be triple the premium for less hull.

It IS more but not normally that much more.

Average (if there is such a thing) for an RV is probably more in line with $1500-$2500 depending on hull amount, type and pilot experience.

Some Carriers are better at Builders Insurance some are better at Flying rates.

An 8 taildragger will usually be more than a 9A.....

Just some very broad basics. These numbers will vary, your mileage may be different, yada yada....

Hope it helps some.

BIG help...

Thx Jim...

John

Tire Kicker Insurance Quoate

This thread got me to call my insurance company to get a rough idea of what this thing will cost me. (I won't post the company name because they said they can do better when the time comes so these numbers might seem high.)

2007 (Expected completion year)
RV-9
400+ TT
100+ Tail wheel
5 in type (After I go for transition training.)
SEL rating, no IFR
Aircraft equipped for D/N VFR
$65,000 Hull (Hey, I'm using an engine I rebuilt myself to keep the costs down.)

$2,139

If I was building a -9A the premium would be $1896.

If an when my wife wants to start taking lessons in it I'll have to mortgage the house as the premium goes up over $5,000. OUCH!

There seems to be a $300 discount once I get 100 hours in type so the trick will be to put 100 hours on it before I have to renew. :D

N941WR said:
This thread got me to call my insurance company to get a rough idea of what this thing will cost me. (I won't post the company name because they said they can do better when the time comes so these numbers might seem high.)

2007 (Expected completion year)
RV-9
400+ TT
100+ Tail wheel
5 in type (After I go for transition training.)
SEL rating, no IFR
Aircraft equipped for D/N VFR
$65,000 Hull (Hey, I'm using an engine I rebuilt myself to keep the costs down.)

$2,139

If I was building a -9A the premium would be $1896.

If an when my wife wants to start taking lessons in it I'll have to mortgage the house as the premium goes up over $5,000. OUCH!

There seems to be a $300 discount once I get 100 hours in type so the trick will be to put 100 hours on it before I have to renew. :D

This was very helpful. Knowing hours and the difference between the A and a t/d.

Any idea what liability only would have been?

Thanks,

John

Deuskid said:
At my last (actually, the first) renewal, I dropped the in-flight and went with liability and ground not-in-motion (in case the hangar burns down, tornado, etc.) It dropped from about $1700 to just over $900. This is for a RV-6, $75K hull. Liability only would have saved around another hundred or so, but I figured the ground n-i-m was worth it for that little $$.

Deuskid said:
This was very helpful. Knowing hours and the difference between the A and a t/d.

Thanks,

John
John,

I think that was for $100,000 / $1,000,000 if I remember right.

Back