What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A fuselage

Jerry Fischer

Well Known Member
I received a response for my RV7A fuselage quest from a gentlman who has an RV9A fuselage for sale; he and Vans both state they are identical. My question is since the fuselage is over 60 % complete including the center wing section from the 9A kit will I have a problem installing my 7A wings since I know they are definitely different? I have the 7A center section and don't want to jeopardize A/.C integrity or safety for the small savings. Any thoughts?
Jerry Fischer

No Go-

I sold my RV9a kit awhile back and there was a fella that wanted to convert it to a RV7. We called Vans and they said NO CAN DO- there are about a dozen bits and pieces different along the main spar area in the fuselage that are different. Namely the actual spars are different thicknesses.

Better be safe than sorry.

From memory here is what I recall being different between the two:

Side skins
Spar carry through (The -9 has more dihedral) and I don't think the depth of the spars are the same.
Seat ribs are different (I think)

Also, where the tank bracket attaches is completely different as is the fuel vent location.

They are not interchangable.

Back