What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A engine possibilities

PeteP

Well Known Member
I have access to either a O320-E2D or a O320-E3D for my 9A project. I was told that the carb mount on these engines might be too far aft and would not work on a 9A cowl. Can anyone confrim this before a I make a big engine choice mistake?

The E2D and the E3D both have center mounted carbs. Either of these engines will fit the standard cowling just fine.

Be careful of the E2D. Some of these engines come off of Cessnas and don't have a mechanical fuel pump.

E3Ds typically come from Piper and Beechcraft aircraft and do have the fuel pump.

I have an O320 E2D on my 9A and it fit perfect except I had to change the accessory case to put a fuel pump on it.

RESTART

My wife and her son (Marilyn & Peter)
Started an RV-9 together, after I started my RV-8.
The fuselage tail cone is ready to join to the center section, but Peter married and had kids, etc, and the RV-9 sat for six years under the wing of the Cessna.
Today, we retrieved the RV-9 and now it's back in Peter's garage. :D
Engines are now the hot topic. I say O-360-B (Low compression, 168HP) and autogas. That's currently about $2.30 a gallon less than 100LL.
Peter is considering O-320 150 HP and autogas, wondering if it will get better fuel efficiency than the O-360?
Right now we are considering a fixed pitch prop. And that's another question. Catto has a very nice 3 blade, but the Sensenich aluminum 2 blade is very maintenance free.
SO everyone feel free to weigh in, I promise not to be offended.

If you decide to go with a Catto prop make sure you can fly it in the rain. He has an upgrade for different edges on the props now. Mine doesn't have the new style of edges so no rain for me.

Sensenich metal prop for O320

I just read in the Vans catalog that the Sensenich metal props for the O320 are limited to 2600 RPM Max. Thats not cool for an engine that is rated for 2700 RPM in MHO.

Pete

Back