What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 9A elevator push rod reinstall problems.

Dono

I'm New Here
I am rebuilding my 9A. The elevator pushrod was not undercoated. I removed it and painted inside and out. I’m now working on reinstall. I did not anticipate the complexity of reconnecting. The spacers are infuriating. Anybody have suggestions of how to make the connections with the spacers? They are continually sliding and dropping out. tnx

Installing those washers can make you lose your mind. I got some of these from Avery Tools years ago, but apparently Aircraft Spruce sells them now. You won't use them much, but when you need them, it'll prevent you from throwing parts against the hangar walls. Usually you can grab the actual aluminum spacers with tiny needlenose pliers, but these "washer wrenches" will hold the washers in place while you wiggle the bolt in.

The tool is probably nice but blue painter tape worked well for me. Insert bolt and first washer and slip the rod bearing on. The blue tape holds the second washer in place as you slide the bolt through. A small 90 degree pick from the opposite side to help align everything. Good luck

We made The same sort of thing out of a cheap steel 6in scale (ruler). It work pretty well and you won’t have to wait.

Before I got the tools mentioned in the first post I used a piece of scotch tape over the edge of the washer and lowered it into place that way. In another case I used flat, ribbon style dental floss through the hole in the washer. Both tips came from another post here on VAF. Can’t beat the tools though. Good luck.

Run a length of thread or dental floss through all bolt holes, washers, etc. Pull it up tight and it'll keep things aligned enough to get the bolts through. Once it's all in, just break the thread and pull it out.

Back