What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A cruise prop selection

MrNomad

Well Known Member
My plan is an RV9A with an IO-320 with mods for auto gas. In other words, 150hp. The primary use for the airplane is travel to/from Tucson to Long Beach once a month. Lots of cruising at 12,ooo ++.

In an effort to save $$ I was thinking of a fixed prop that is specifically designed for cruise. Sometimes I will be at high density altitude in the southwest sun.

I am aware that the advantage of constant speed is a wider range of performance and I acknowledge that I my plan will give up some takeoff performance, but after flying a Cessna 150, the RV should seem like a rocket ship. Plus, my wife is skinny so weight is not an issue.

Does my plan make sense? Comments? Which prop would folks suggest?

If i'm not mistaken, the Sensenich is the fastest prop out there for the RV's unless you go custom.

I've got a Sensenich 79" prop with a 160 hp o320. I get Van's numbers. I've flown an 80" pitch prop, too much pitch for that engine. It took a real hit in take off and climb compared to the 79". Call Ed at Sensenich if you have any questions, he's great to deal with.

Back