What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Adventure to the West

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Our biggest RV adventure has started. So far we have made it to Leadville. Here are some pictures to share.

Day 1:

Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%252520722011%25252075217%252520AM.bmp.jpg

New Orleans Lakefront airport
IMG_5859.JPG

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/6302011NewOrleans

Day 2

Originally we planned a over night stop in Texas but decided that it is better to stay in a cooler place. So, we pushed forward to Leadville. Since Last time I missed landing in New Mexico, we did a fuel stop in New Mexico and did not fly direct from New Orleans to Leadville. It made a 1,000 nm trip for the day.

We departed KNEW at 8 am. Storm just moving into the city. We circled to the south west to avoid the storm.

IMG_5878.JPG

French Quarter:

IMG_5898.JPG

Downtown:
IMG_5900.JPG

We only got a few drops:
IMG_5915.JPG

After fuel stop at Raton, NM we plotted a direct course to Leadville. Since I only have less than 100 hrs on my new ECI cylinders (rework from last year) it still get hot. I had to climb shallowly to cool the cylinders. The air was bumpy for more than 300 nm. I turned off AP and flew by hand.

First set of tall peaks:
IMG_6100.JPG

Often it is hard to focus due to the bumps. Now we are at 14,500' over all the peaks.
IMG_6116.JPG

Leadville airport insight:
IMG_6164.JPG

IMG_6189.JPG

IMG_20110701_162916.jpg

Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%252520722011%25252075152%252520AM.bmp.jpg

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/712011Leadville

Last edited:
Nice

Great trip report Ted and thanks for sharing the AWESOME pics. After showing my little red haired wifey the pics over the mountains I am now 100% certain she'll NEVER fly out there with me in the Rocket or the RV7 :eek:. Should have kept it for a surprise :D.

Have fun and fly safe!!

Well, I just want to try this once. Now we are baked! So far everyday we got 100+ degree at least a few times (at airports). Leadville was in the low 40s when we depart. By noon we were hiking the national park under high 90 degree sun. When we were waiting out the haze and wind at Barstow they warned us about the turbulence under the condition. After Colorado and Utah it was really not bad. We are REALLY looking forward to the cooler weather up north.

We almost crossed paths

Ted, I was in Colorado Springs with work. I left at 4:30pm on July 1st. The only flying I got to do was the Skycoaster at Royal Gorge.

2011-07-01%252520044.jpg" height="480" width="640"

Last edited:
Keep flying north

We may break 76F today under clear blue skies! Unfortunately the forcast calls for 80F for a few days, then back down to 69, whew!

Yosemite

Happy 4th of July!

Unfortunately we were not able to get a rental car to drive to Yosemite. After some pondering we decided to go to San Francisco to see the fireworks. Before heading to Hayward we climbed to 12,000' and made a single circle around the park. Here are some photos we shot.

The valley:
IMG_7322.JPG

Half Dome:
IMG_7316.JPG

Yosemite Falls:
IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%252520742011%25252013351%252520PM.bmp.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics! Did you see the fireworks? Oh, sorry, just realized it is only 7:30 there... :)

Ted,
Thanks for the photos. We spent the week before last in the valley hiking and seeing all these sights from the ground. It looks like the water has decreased. Boy do we miss the cool temps here in Savannah, Ga.....

San Francisco

Hayward AAP Jet Center helped us with a rental car and near by hotel. After some resting we drove to Fisherman's Wharf. According to an online guide Pier 39 (next to Fisherman's Wharf) is the best place to see the fireworks. After a nice dinner at Franciscan Crab we strolled around and found a water front spot. The temperature was in the 50s but the windchill was much lower. I usually try to avoid crowd gathering places, but since we are on an adventure I don't mind it at all. After the fireworks it took us more than 2 hrs to drive (or shall I say crawl) from our parking spot to Bay Bridge - a 2 mile distance! Then I remembered the reason why I do not like big crowd. Of course no complain here. We did have fun and enjoy the experience.

Driving down the street:
IMG_7416.JPG

Jackson Street:
IMG_7429.JPG

Boudin Sourdough:
IMG_7430.JPG

Finale:
Picasa%2525203%252520752011%25252073029%252520AM.jpg

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/742011SFFireworks

Last edited:
Awesome trip - couple of questions

Got a couple of questions for you on your trip.

What engine and prop do you have?

Tell us about your departure from Leadville, density altitude, ground run, initial climb out rate, etc...?

How did the -9a handle the turbulence? How long did you have to stay at manuevering speed for the turbulence?

Any other -9a specifics regarding the trip?

I can't wait to get my -9a going east. Enjoy your trip!

Got a couple of questions for you on your trip.

What engine and prop do you have?

Tell us about your departure from Leadville, density altitude, ground run, initial climb out rate, etc...?

How did the -9a handle the turbulence? How long did you have to stay at manuevering speed for the turbulence?

Any other -9a specifics regarding the trip?

I can't wait to get my -9a going east. Enjoy your trip!

I have O320-D2A with Sensenich fixed pitch standard prop. Top side is Slick Mag and lower side has Lightspeed Plasma III ignition.

Departure at Leadville at 11,000' density altitude, ground run was slow. It must took me half the runway to lift off (at least I feel that way). Handling was slogish. I did have full load (a lot of stuff in the baggage compartment and full fuel). Airport is in a valley so I climbed slowly toward south to gain altitude. Since my cylinders are always on the hot side soon #3 and #4 got into 440F and I stopped climbing. After a few miles I turned north and continue to climb. It took me a while to climb to 14,500' before heading south west over peaks. I did not run full throttle after leveling off. I have been running 140+ true for most of the trip. Air was mostly bumpy but not violently. I did not use the manuevering speed.

A few times my fuel pressure showed below 0.5 psi and I turned on electrical fuel pump for a few seconds for it to rise up. During climbing out I mostly pay attention to the CHTs to keep them within green (435F) and look at the terrain on the GRT GPS to plan the climbing route ahead. Of course the airspeed is important as well. However, I usually keep it above 100kts (90kts high up) indicated and there is no worry for stall. It does not mean I don't look outside, it is a basic requirement.

During approach to land again I pay attention to the engine (CHTs, fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc). I make sure they don't cool too fast. In pattern I make sure I am fast enough. I don't like to drop below 70 kts until close to the number. If I am high I slip (engine already idle) and keep airspeed at 75 to 80 kts. If I am low I add power.

I have XM weather onboard and it gives me a lot of confident flying long cross country. It is very important for me to know what is ahead.

As many have said, keep pounding rivets and soon you can enjoy the fruit of your labor. If you are already done, try to extend your flying envelope gradually. I have never flown more than 100 nm trips (except for the training requirement) before I finished my RV9A. I would still not feel comfortable flying one for long cross country without GPS moving map and weather.

Looks like you flew right over my house in your Picassa photo of Oakland:D If you saw the Mormon Temple, it's a VFR reporting point for the area and flying from Hayward up the west side of the hills we were underneath you just before you passed the temple.

Your photos and videos are great and it looks like you're having a trip of a lifetime!

On the 4th I was playing our 25th annual 4th of July at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View so was just south of you. 20,000 people. With special events like that, baseball, football, concerts etc Bay Area traffic can be an unbelievable nightmare. But it makes for a great place to live...that and the scenery you're showing:D

Have a fantastic and safe trip. Keep the reports coming!!!

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 120hrs

Departing Hayward for Redwood National Park (Arcata). Did an obligated pass of Golden Gate Bridge.

What an awesome flight that must have been. I've flown to the bay area a few times, but always land at Livermore. Even though I fly through the Class B here in LA all the time, I'm hesitant to try and navitage the SFO Class B. What departure did you request from Hayward and what was your route of flight over the Golden Gate? Did you remain clear of Bravo? Were you talking to NorCal approach? I'd love the details of the who/how/what/who on making this flight. I'm planning a flight to Napa in the fall and I'm debating whether or not to take "the scenic route".

Thanks!

Excellent plan for an adventure! I will fly exactly the same route. In 2 years :D. Thanks Ted for great report and motivation!

Visiting the Mother Ship

Just ran in to Ted and his wife while I was picking up some miscellaneous parts at Vans. They stopped in for a tour. Sounds like they are having a great trip. By the time they get home, he will have landed at all 48 contiguous states. Pretty cool!

What an awesome flight that must have been. I've flown to the bay area a few times, but always land at Livermore. Even though I fly through the Class B here in LA all the time, I'm hesitant to try and navitage the SFO Class B. What departure did you request from Hayward and what was your route of flight over the Golden Gate? Did you remain clear of Bravo? Were you talking to NorCal approach? I'd love the details of the who/how/what/who on making this flight. I'm planning a flight to Napa in the fall and I'm debating whether or not to take "the scenic route".

Thanks!
John,

Nothing special about flying around complex airspace. GPS map gives you a pretty good idea whether you are about to violet an airspace or not. I just told Hayward tower I was departing to north. After leaving their class D I flew around the inner circle of Oakland class. C and under San Francisco bravo. Around Golden gate the bottom of bravo is 3000'.

Just ran in to Ted and his wife while I was picking up some miscellaneous parts at Vans. They stopped in for a tour. Sounds like they are having a great trip. By the time they get home, he will have landed at all 48 contiguous states. Pretty cool!

Bill,

It is a pleasure to meet you at Van's.

Looks like you flew right over my house in your Picassa photo of Oakland:D If you saw the Mormon Temple, it's a VFR reporting point for the area and flying from Hayward up the west side of the hills we were underneath you just before you passed the temple.

Your photos and videos are great and it looks like you're having a trip of a lifetime!

On the 4th I was playing our 25th annual 4th of July at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View so was just south of you. 20,000 people. With special events like that, baseball, football, concerts etc Bay Area traffic can be an unbelievable nightmare. But it makes for a great place to live...that and the scenery you're showing:D

Have a fantastic and safe trip. Keep the reports coming!!!

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 120hrs

Could have said Hi to you.:D. Actually I did not see a lot of the scenery in the pictures. I was focusing on flying and watching for traffic. I hate the traffic but does enjoy the culture and food.

We got beautiful shots of Crater Lake. As soon as I get internet service I will post them.

Send from my Droid phone.

Great report

Your trip report was especially good after pounding rivets (with proseal) all evening on the gas tank :)

Hope to do a similar trip someday if I ever finish smashing rivets.

Have a safe trip.

This morning a low layer of clouds cover the entire west coast. Looking at the weather map all inland airports are reporting VFR and coastal ones IFR. Before breakfast I filed IFR from Arcata to Medford that is close to Crater Lake. Upon loading our baggage into the airplane I called Seattle Center on the ground to get our clearance. After climbed out the cloud layer I called to cancel and pointing my nose toward Crater Lake. We climbed to 9,500' and set the autopilot. After making one circle around Crater Lake we flew west to Myrtle Creek for cheap fuel. A Cessna 182 was ahead of us. Only after he landed the FBO called to inform us that there is no fuel and suggested that we go to Roseburg. We climbed out the valley and got fuel at Roseburg. After Roseburg we flew blew the overcast to Mac Minnville with the intention to see Spruce Goose. Unfortunately the museum shuttle car had problem. After one hour wait and chatted with several people we decided to move on. Van's is only 16 nm away and we arrived soon. At Van's we met Bill, a 7 driver and got a factory tour from Darrel, a 9 builder. Our last stop for the day is Kelso, Southwest Washington Regional Airport. A fellow 9A and 10 builder, Duane and Linda invited us to spend the night at their house. It turned out that Duane and my wife had met in a conference 10 years ago. What a small world.

Departing Arcata, CA IFR.
IMG_8102.JPG

Crater Lake:
IMG_8173.JPG

IMG_8190.JPG

Tour Van's Aircraft:
IMG_8422.JPG

IMG_8432.JPG

Duane's RV9A:
IMG_8512.JPG

Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%252520772011%25252095929%252520PM.bmp.jpg

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/772011CraterLakeVans#

Last edited:
State of Washington

We left Kelso this morning to go to Friday Harbor. A while ago when I played with MS Flight Sim I always crashed at Friday Harbor so I want to show myself that I can land my RV9A there. I took the advice on the forum to try Orcas too. Indeed it is an interesting airport to land. Coming from south I flew around the hills to get to downwind 16. While at Orcas we met another couple Ken and Marilyn from CA who vacationed there with their RV6.

After Orcas we climbed above cloud to 9,500' and heading to Mt. Rainier to take some photos. Air was smooth and with 16 kts tailwind. It was not until we finished circling Mt. Rainier it became bumpy. It must be the turbulence of wind blowing from west over the peak. After a few minutes it became smooth again. However, halfway through the State of Washington the air became very bumpy. We planned to stop at Sanpoint, ID. By the time we arrive it was gusting 20 kts. I don't mind landing with the gusts, but the up and down bumpy while in the air was not comfortable. We got a nice hotel and a rental car to settle for the night. What a wonderful day we have.

The internet at the hotel is slow. I am loading a few photos now and will do the rest after dinner.

Heading to Friday Harbor:
IMG_8639.JPG

Friday Harbor:
IMG_8739.JPG

At Eastbound Airport, Orcas Island, Kent and Marilyn from CA:
IMG_8780.JPG

Mt. Rainier:
IMG_9046.JPG

IMG_9030.JPG

Mt. Adams 41nm south:
IMG_9049.JPG

Mt. Hood 91nm south:
IMG_9064.JPG

Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%252520782011%25252051454%252520PM.bmp.jpg

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/782011FridayHarborSandPoint

Last edited:
Each day of our adventure is more interesting than the previous one. Today we left Sandpoint, ID, flew around Glacier National Park, took photos at Devil's Tower, than flew by Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Before we left Sandpoint we leaned that today is 90th Birthday Celebration Weekend for Dr. Forrest M. Bird. At Sandpoint airport is a jet that brought Bob Hoover to Sandpoint and another jet belong to John and Martha King. Unfortunately we have a schedule to meet and did not go to the Flyin. Before we took off we heard an announcement that RV Float plane landing Sandpoint on the lake. Unfortunately we can not see the landing from the airport. After departing we circled the lake and did not see the float plane. Last time I saw it it was parked at Oshkosh.

Upon departing we overfly Bird Aviation Museum and saw a lot of traffic coming to the celebration. It looks like an interesting airport to land.

Bird Aviation Museum:
IMG_9454.JPG

After leaving Idaho we headed to Glacier National Park. After Glacier we left high mountains for a while. Air became turbulent after we past the mountain range. The turbulence created by the wind passing mountain top kept me alert for a few minutes.

IMG_9738.JPG

Lake St Mary:
IMG_9766.JPG

Our next destination is Miles, MT for rest stop. We got to drive the curtsy car to the Airport Cafe down the hill and had a nice lunch. After lunch we flew to Hulett, WY and air tour Devil's Tower. There is 2 nm zoom that pilots are advised not to fly in. Anyway, it is better to keep a distance so we can take pictures. After Devil's Tower we headed to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Unfortunately I forgot to copy down the coordinates for those two places. In air we studied map and determined the general direction of those two land marks. The air over Black Hills was bumpy since this is in the afternoon. We found both these two land marks but the lighting for Mt Rushmore is at back light and hard to get good pictures.

After Mt. Rushmore we are done with all the places we want to visit. Now it is time to head home.

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%252520792011%25252052527%252520PM.jpg

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/792011Glacier#

https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/20110709

Can't decide

Although Glacier National Park is one of the most beautiful places on earth, I can't decide whether Ted's footage of flying through there is inspiring or terrifying! Not a whole lot of options if something goes wrong, and landing on Going to the Sun Road would be a challenge! Its hard enough to drive.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm hoping to see some of the same on the way to and from Oshkosh this year!

I agree with you that driving through Going to the Sun road was not for faint of heart. I was much more scared when I drove through than flew through. We were lucky since the air was smooth and we were more than 3000' above the terrain we flew over.

Glacier is not the only place without emergency landing options. A large percent of where we flew through had no immediate landing options. I definitely don't recommend anyone following our example. At least to me it is an once in a life time trip. We truly enjoy the trip.

Trip completed

We made it home an hour ago. Due to some bad stuff up in north central Iowa we modified our route slightly and had a fuel stop at Burlington, IA. We arrived in Indianapolis around 2:30 pm, had a good visit with our son, David. He treated us a nice Turkish dinner in Broad Ripple. After dinner we flew back to Portsmouth (170 nm). The air was as smooth as we can ask for. Bugs on the airplane washed and dirty laundry in the washer, now it is time to unwind.

The adventure took us 9 days to complete. In these 9 days we traveled more than 5,500 nm, flew 49.4 hrs, and used 271.4 gallons of fuel (from GRT logbook), and 3 quarts of oil. We landed on the highest airport (Leadville, CO) in the US and completed visiting all States in the lower 48. However, due to weather we missed the lowest airport (Furnace Creek, CA) and the west most paved airport (Quillayute, WA). We did not get to drive to Yosemite but got to see fireworks at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. We did not get to fly alone the coast to see whale but did see one from a few feet away on Klamath River bank. We flew over and around many high peaks, hiked national parks, and walked streets of New Orleans and San Francisco. We also flew around rain storms, under low overcast, over large cloud layers, IFR out low ceiling and rain. While stranded four hours in Barstow, CA we experienced the 112 degree steaming wind blowing to our faces and saw rain drops in the desert. Sometimes the air was smooth and many times it was so bumpy that really called my attention. Amazingly we had mostly tailwind. Out of the 5.5k nm we had a few hundred miles of headwind. What else can we ask for?

It has been such a wonderful trip. Great scenery and good friends. Now we finally have a 3D view of the country. We have much better appreciation of the wonderful land we lived on. We got to talk to many people: fellow RVators, doctors, engineers, flight instructors, FBO operators, linemen, California state police officers (at Barstow airport), Taxi drivers, Ag pilot, waiters and waitresses, etc. It is so interesting to learn about their lifes and their places.

When I was growing up I was a timid kid. I never traveled more than 10 miles until I finished high school. It is hard to believe that I have done such an audacious act. I believe that as long as you put your heart to something then you will be able to do it. For those who are still building, keep pounding rivets and you will have a wonderful magic carpet that will take you to beautiful places.

Today's track:
Track%252520of%252520KD8IIR%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%2525207102011%25252090453%252520PM.bmp.jpg

N103LF has landed on every states in the lower 48.
Airports%252520Visited%252520by%252520N103LF%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%2525207102011%25252091105%252520PM.bmp.jpg

RunwayFinder%252520-%252520Aeronautical%252520Charts%252520-%252520Flight%252520Planning%252520-%252520Google%252520Chrome%2525207102011%25252094337%252520PM.bmp.jpg

I agree with you that driving through Going to the Sun road was not for faint of heart. I was much more scared when I drove through than flew through. We were lucky since the air was smooth and we were more than 3000' above the terrain we flew over.

Glacier is not the only place without emergency landing options. A large percent of where we flew through had no immediate landing options. I definitely don't recommend anyone following our example. At least to me it is an once in a life time trip. We truly enjoy the trip.

As someone told me................it's a calculated risk, in favor of the engine to keep on running, considering engine failure is far and few between. I fly over the rough stuff all the time. It was Idaho's rugged Sawtooth mountains a few weeks ago. Years ago, I seen pics from an emergency RV6 landing on a winding logging road. The pilot did pretty good..............considering.

Oh well, since I'm not an airline pilot, that has become use to multiple engine redundancy; and at 60 years, I'm not old enough to know better.......I'll just keep on doing it.. :D

P.S. --- great pics! My wife and I still want to fly the west coast.

L.Adamson ---RV6A

Thank You

Ted, thank you for a very inspirational series of reports. I especially appreciate your summary post. Someday I hope to do this kind of trip. Your personal testimonial gives me courage to try it. Thanks again!

David

Back