What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 / RV-7 lower longeron fit

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Has anyone else had a hard time "nesting" the lower longerons onto the welded firewall brackets?

The plans indicate that the longerons are supposed to rest 13/16" aft of the fwd edge of the side skin. First, when butted up against the weldment, that distance is 14/16" (7/8") for me. (My fwd side skin is, per plans,the required 5/8" from the fwd face of the firewall.) Second, and more problematically, in this position, the bead of the weld prevents the longeron from nesting flush on the bracket even when they are properly twisted. To get the longeron to nest flushly I have to move it back about another 3/16-1/8". If I did this, I think I would still have the neceesary edge distances for the four AN3 bolts, but what have you all done?

Any help? Thanks.

I wrote to Vans about the same situation for the upper longeron and the WD-602 Upper Engine Mount Bracket , here is the answer from Vans:

"It's no problem to file away part of the weld on the WD-602 if it is
preventing the longeron from fitting properly. Don't remove material
from the longeron."

I guess the same answer probably applied for the lower elements, you should ask Vans.

Guy D.

Back