What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 N194JH is completed

John H

Hi All,

At long last the fruits of my labor are completed, 2 years and 3 months, with 1,065 hours for a standard kit. During the same time span I built 2 other RV-9's and started the reconstruction of a Questair Venture. Busy, Busy, Busy but a lot of fun also.

Here are a few shots of the completed project.

img0275mediumdr2.jpg

img0272mediumqo4.jpg

Thanks for viewing

John H.

John, congrats!!

I see a MGL unit or 5.

Is this your first exposure to them, or do you have any prior experience with them? Any impressions to report???

By the way, this is the first RV/helicopter hybrid I have seen:D

Hi Mike,

Interesting concept a hybrid RV-Hilo, not. First time with the MGL line, but thus far the easiest to install vs. Blue Mountain, GRT. The Dynon's are rather easy installations also. My impressions are very favorable a lot of functionality and the support is good. Sometimes slow because of their work load but all issues are resolved. The Odyssey is an ongoing effort by Rainier of MGL. Sunlight readability is superb, if there were one thing that would e better, that would be a more accurate way to calibrate the various engine sensors. Being a numbers person is not an asset but a mental disease :)

John H.

John,

It is always nice to see another -9! You will love how this thing flies (and lands).

Who did your painting? (I've got to get mine painted!)

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the kind words. I have flown one of the RV9 that I built, indeed it is a sweet flying machine. The painting was done in Ormond Beach by SaltAir. Give Scott a call he does a bang up job. He and his crew have been paint AC for some 15 years now and has probably painted or repainted a good portion of the planes at Spruce Creek flyin.

Here is Scott's cell 386-405-6987

Regards,

John H.

John,

Who did your painting? (I've got to get mine painted!)

Yes, you must get it painted! :)

As I remember, you use to say something along the lines..............that a plane isn't done until it's flying. And I'm thinking...........it isn't done until it's painted! :D

IMO, after all the long months, and getting up at 5:00 am to paint mine before the temps would get too hot, and the paint would "flash" too soon...

Most definately, a plane isn't "near done" until it's painted! It's either a lot of dollar$, or a lot of time; or a combination of both! :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A

1065 hrs!

You really were smoking to knock it out in 1K hrs! I know there is learning curve to be had on some of this, but since you were also building two other aircraft did you implement any mass production techniques such as knocking out the ailerons on all three a/c when you were set up to do? I know a lot of my time was spent in just figuring out how to prepare to do the task and once that was determined I could have just as easily have knocked out a couple more parts while I had everything ready to go...just curious.

Doug Lomheim
90116 (stopped counting at 2,000 hrs)

John,

Thanks for the number. I'll give him a call later this fall.

Right now I'm waiting for the wife to finish her "nine month quick build" before I drop any big $$$ on the plane. Only another month and a half to go for her.

WOW

John,

I have been thinking about building another RV, but the build time was a factor. You built a standard kit in around 1000 hours? How did you do it, any advice? Beautiful bird!

Hi Paul,

Gee! That is a good question. I guess it just comes down to experience of knowing what goes where and how it all comes together. Having built so many different craft, I think this is m 24th so far. You must have a hard focus on each aspect of the construction, that is dont move on to another part of construction till the present one is done to completion. Then put it away and move on. The wife was a huge asset, she was very involved especially in the riveting. She was like Mikey of the tv Commercials '"more riviting please" She enjoyed that part.

John H.

Back