What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 main gear/engine mount Help!

Joerpilot

I am converting my 9A to a 9. I received my new engine mount and main gear from Vans Friday night. I installed the new engine mount today only to discover that the main gear they sent doesn't fit the tubes on the engine mount.
could somebody who has not mounted there gear yet please verify which of these two dimensions are correct?

gear is 1-7/16"
mount tube that the gear goes into is 1-3/8".

Hopefully the mount is correct so I can continue with my engine connections.

thanks,

Joe Ramotowski
RV9A/RV9 250 hrs

The winner is...

1 7/16" That was taken at the top of the gearleg tower.

(I've updated this after reading the following posts and double checking the gear legs. You can't trust everything you read on the net!)

1 7/16" is the correct number.

Last edited:
1 7/16 for the RV-9

It should most definitely be 1-7/16. Only the -7 taildragger is 1-3/8. Well, the -6 taildragger and -6a are both 1-3/8 as well as the original (Old) RV-4 gear legs, but those are out of production.

What are you measuring with? Is it accurate enough to tell the difference of .0625?

I imagine you are using something accurate enough, (Like a caliper or ID Micrometer) I just don't want anybody to try to use a tape measure or even a steel ruler to measure something like this.

Hope that helps, but it does not sound like what you wanted to hear...

Solution

The correct size for the gear is 1-7/16. Apparantly Vans forgot to hone the receiver tubes on the engine mount. They sent me a replacement mount which now fits. The bad news is that I have to pull the engine for the second time. It's just part of being in this world. Thanks to all of you that tried to help. This is a great community!

Regards,

Joe Ramotowski
N358JR
RV9A..I mean 9
250 hrs

Back