What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 Leading Edge Ribs 909

swixtt

Well Known Member
so i am working through these nose ribs, skin, etc. trying to reduce the bumps i see from the ribs to the skin right on the leading egde. hopefully they aren't that bad when things get matched and dimpled, riveted.
anyway, i noticed on a couple of the 909L ribs, two in fact that are on the inboard end have a couple of holes in each that don't match up with the spar. i am assuming i just match drill from the spar side and then leave the rib side holes alone?

as far as i can tell... yes. they are all 909L there, line up great with the leading edge, everything lines up great. so i take it you didn't need to open a couple of holes for rivets on the rib for those two locations of 909l Leading Edge Ribs.
believe dwg9 shows how the two inboard 909L that attach to the spar have a slightly different rivet pattern due to the doubler on the back of the spar.

as far as i can tell... yes. they are all 909L there, ...
Check the drawings, IIRC, they are supposed to alternate between L&R. They do this so you can reach the rivets from both ends, not R for the right wing and L for the left.

Check the rivet call outs on the Front Wing Spar Rear View on DWG 11.
The 2 inboard W-909L's have to get match drilled to the spar.

As for the bumps in the nose, take those little leading edge flanges of the ribs and run them across a scotchbrite wheel. This will make those front flange ears fit better under the continuous curve of the skin, instead of having little pressure points trying to push through the skin.

yes, i saw those call outs... the ones closer together. so yes those two in particular get an extra hole at either side. so the one that already exists in the rib is in a different location and will just remain open.
yeah i took those ribs out for another run on the wheel... fit better for sure but still see that bump. will have another go when apart for deburring.

as far as i can tell... yes. they are all 909L there, line up great with the leading edge, everything lines up great. so i take it you didn't need to open a couple of holes for rivets on the rib for those two locations of 909l Leading Edge Ribs.
believe dwg9 shows how the two inboard 909L that attach to the spar have a slightly different rivet pattern due to the doubler on the back of the spar.

Well, I'll be dipped, you're right. I had forgotten about that. I looked at the drawings and reviewed some photos of my build, and you are on exactly the right track. Match drill it to the spar and leave the extra hole on the ribs open.

thanks guys... i didn't want to miss something that seemed so simple and straight forward. appreciate the effort to dip back in time to look at a photo or two:D
build on...:cool:

Back