What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 fuse before wings?

JHines

Well Known Member
Has anyone specifically done fuselage before wings for an RV-9/9A?

I understand this is physically possible with the way the spars are maufactured now.

I have some reason I'm toying with this idea; I would just like to hear the good/bad/ugly.

Don't recommend because:
1) You will need to have the long wing spars shipped with the fuse bulkhead halves as they are matched. Van's won't hold your spars (I believe), thus would need shipping and storage for the spars.
2) Since avionics are constantly evolving, you want to delay as much as possible the later part of the fuse building. However, you could always build the structure first, then switch to the wings before time to set up the panel.
3) Wings are needed midway thru the fuse build - you attach them, set incidence, etc, then drill the rear spar to the fuse bulkhead. After a couple other chores, you remove the wings and store them.
4) If space is tight (garage), then storing the wings out of the way while working on the fuse is much easier than the other way around.
I'm sure I missed a couple other issues... .

Thanks for the input. Is it possible to set the wing incidence after the fuselage is complete or is it mandatory to do it during the fuselage build?

I wouldn't recommend it, because

1) you will need the center section and close tolerance bolts, shipped with and match to the wing kit (but you knew that)

2) You will need lots of other long angle pieces, especially 0.75" square angle 0.063" thick (did you know that?) There were 4 (I think) 10-12 foot pieces shipped with the wing. I've used more than 2 of them so far.

3) It's good to have the wing spars to measure their thickness to KNOW that they will fit between the 904 bulkhead halves.

4) Storing the wings isn't so bad. In my 1 car garage I have wings, tail, fuselage at canoe stage, and a disassembled engine. Oh, 2 EAA workbenches also. Takes a bit of planning and good wall/ceiling storage.

5) The wing is so much easier / faster and is a good confidence builder for the fuselage.

6) The proseal experience is good practice for sealing your firewall.

Good Luck - any way that works for you is good!

I would also advise against it for the simple reason that the plans are far less detailed in the fuse section, and you need the experience in building the wing to minimize problems building the fuse.

Back