What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 Construction Caution

N941WR

Legacy Member
This past week I put my -9 on the gear and hung the engine. With no wings or tail installed, the plane is VERY nose heavy, meaning tail light.

Yesterday a friend came by and lifted the tailwheel up about a foot and almost dumped it on its nose.

If you are building a -9, when you get to this stage weigh the tail down with some of those bags of buckshot you have laying around from building the ailerons.

For those RV-7 builders out there, I suspect the same issue might apply.

Careful Bill or you're going to start a tri-gear/tail wheel debate. Just kidding, great to hear about your progress.

Ken Scott from Van's did that with his RV-6 and luckily caught the fuse on a large plastic bucket. He said he went for a long walk right after that. One of the reasons, I suspect, that he calls himself "the dummy."

rvator9a said:
Careful Bill or you're going to start a tri-gear/tail wheel debate. Just kidding, great to hear about your progress.
Every time I call Vans about my -9 they give me some tidbit of info.
Last week while calling about installing my engine they said they have sold about 1400 RV-9/9A kits, of those less than 40 have been for the -9.

Sounds like I'm going to have one unique bird.

The other thing that caught me was how tall the -9 is on its gear. When I asked, Vans said the -9 is taller than the -6, -7, & -8. The reason is they had to get it in a fully stalled 3 point attitude while on the gear and our wing doesn't want to stop flying, thus longer gear legs.

Last edited:
Hey Bill, off topic but I lost your phone #. Do you have the part #s for the gear and fuel pump that I will need for my o-290, I already have the rear accessory case. If you would send me an e-mail [email protected] Thanks Bob Collins

Bob,

Check your email. That should include all the items you need. Your timing couldn't be better, I'm working with Vans to compile a FWF list for the O-290. Keep checking my web site as it will be detailed there as well.

Back