What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 CANOPY

federico

I'm New Here
....IS IT REALLY MORE SAFE THE SLAIDING SOLUTION FOR CANOPY IN RV9 IN CASE OF CRASH? WHAT MAKE ME DECIDE BETWEEN TIP UP OR SLIDING CANOPY?

TANKS

FEDERICO

Choose.....

Good morning Federico,
The visibilty is better with the tip-up canopy because the roll bar is behind you. The slider looks better when it is open, in my opinion. When the tip-up is open and the wind blows from behind, it can strain the lift struts some.

I don't think that the slider is necessarily safer because in either case, if you ever end up upside down, you'll more than likely need to break the canopy from inside with an axe or other tool. Kinda your choice,

Regards,
Pierre

Federico,

One other thing to think about is that you cannot open the slider canopy in flight. This is much different than some other airplanes, such as a T-6, which calls for leaving the canopy open for take off and landings.

If you are going to fly in hot weather the slider is a must. You can keep it open until just before take-off to keep things cool. I have flown both exstensively and My 7 is a slider. The tip up offers very little ventilation on the ground and will cook you in hot weather. Slider= good ground cooling, more restricted wisibility in the air. Tip-up= Poor ground cooling, fantastic visibility in flight. Take your pick. Don
P.S. I wish you could have it open in flight. Owned a T-6 and a CJ6 and is was great flying with the canopy open with your left elbow out in the breeze.

Back