What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9/9A as an E-LSA???

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
I just visited Van's home page and there is a first flight report of an RV-9 which the owner states is certified as an E-LSA. It weighs 906 lbs and has a Lycoming O-235C engine. There was no mention of the prop used.

I was going to send Mel Asbery a private email but decided to initiate a thread. I'm assuming a fixed pitch prop of sufficient fine pitch would limit the top speed. Van's performance specs on the factory web site lists stall speed for an RV-9/9A with the 118 hp engine as 48 mph but I'm not sure if that is "no flaps" or not.

What do you think? Mel, I hope you and others can chime in.

If this is possible, I have a friend who, for several reasons, would rather build an RV-9/9A as an E-LSA than build an RV-12.

I admit I haven't spent a lot of time studying all the requirements and specs for the Light Sport category, but this is intriguing. If this is wrong, I hope I haven't burst this guy's bubble!!!

Don

Last edited:
Okay...I should have searched...

Okay, guys, before you jump me. I know I committed the cardinal sin of posting to a forum without a prior search. There is already a discussion of this in the general VAF forum.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=6736

But I've decided to leave it here just to generate discussion. Seems Mel and a few other experienced folks think an E-LSA RV-9 is not doable.

So then, is some DAR down in Florida gonna have a lot of folks banging on his door because he signed off on an RV-9 as an E-LSA???
Curious minds want to know...
Don

Last edited:
The math

Hi Donald,
At 906 lbs, it would only leave a 444 lb useful load. 40 gallons of avgas is 240 lbs, leaving you with only 204 lbs.....the average man. In reality, even an 0-235 would have a much higher than 135 MPH airspeed in a -9.

Even if you only have 20 gallons aboard, that leaves a 324 lb useful load.....two people. I think that most DAR's, if not all, will see through this
smoke and deny you. I'd check with them before I'd build this way.

Regards,

place card

many of the light sport airplanes fly faster than 132mph , why can't he placecard the fuel tanks for 8 gal each and put a redline on the rpm
gauge doing the same thing if he can get the weight down on it ?
stall speed ect..
granted this is pushing the rule to the limit , I think that dar may be busy,
maybe he is fixing what the faa should have done to begin with.. problem
with the sportpilot rule is all the engines and such are best to be NOT AMERICAN MADE.. none of the best sp engines are from the U.S.

flame away..

Danny..

points to ponder....

pierre smith said:
Hi Donald,
At 906 lbs, it would only leave a 444 lb useful load. 40 gallons of avgas is 240 lbs, leaving you with only 204 lbs.....the average man. In reality, even an 0-235 would have a much higher than 135 MPH airspeed in a -9.

Even if you only have 20 gallons aboard, that leaves a 324 lb useful load.....two people. I think that most DAR's, if not all, will see through this
smoke and deny you. I'd check with them before I'd build this way.

Regards,

RV9 only 36 not 40 gal.
With a max gross weight of 1320 lbs. it works like any other plane out there, if you fill up everything (people, baggage, fuel) you will be over weight. This may cause a safety issue (probably not in this case) or a legal issue. Any aircraft that is ramp check and over weight is in trouble.

I think that the main problem with this setup (RV9 LSA) is the stall speed. It is hard to believe that with flaps up it is stalling below the needed 45kts. My RV9A with stalls at 52 kts clean at 1354 lbs.

Kent

Back