What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 wing tips on a -7

Darren S

Well Known Member
What do you guys think about this. I'm looking at a -7 with -8 tips and don't know if I like it. The builder says that with the pos lights mounted, they are visible from the aft of the airplane. Any other thoughts? Do you like that look ?

Darren

Hi Darren...

AFAIK there is no difference in RV-7 / RV-8 wingtips. The current part # is W-715-1, which is the straight trailing edge, and larger light cutout. Preceding that was the curved trailing edge W-715, and before that the "wedge" wingtip as the RV-3/4/6.

I suspect from your post you are just looking at an older RV-8 with the "wedge" tips.

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy,

The -7 QB kit I just sold has the "Bat wing" type of wing tips. I didn't know there were so many different types of wing tips out there, till I started digging.

This is -7 I'm looking at but the wing tips look like a -6. Like a "wedge" as you called it. No cut outs for lights at the front. So a marker light was mounted on the side of the tip about half way down.

The seller said these were -8 tips. I don't think they are -6 tips because the wings are different on a -7 and a -6 aren't they ?

Is it just a cosmetic thing is there a flying/performance difference with these "wedge" tips ?

Thanks,

Darren

All tips fit 4,6,7,8 and not sure about the 3 and 9, but i think so.

W415 is your tip. That's the original 6 tip. A great tip. When cutouts became the norm, the tip went to w715 (batwing) and then w715-1. There is a slight drag component with the old style nav/strobe/position lights, but I'll bet you can't make any meaningful measurement of it.

All wingtips are interchangeable between the RV-4, -6, -7, and -8.
RV-3 is a shorter chord, and the -9 is a totally different airfoil.

What do you guys think about this. I'm looking at a -7 with -8 tips and don't know if I like it. The builder says that with the pos lights mounted, they are visible from the aft of the airplane. Any other thoughts? Do you like that look ?

Darren
The wingtips on my -6A and -8 are identical. In fact, I deleted the newer "bat wing" type tips that are standard in the newer -8 kits and stayed with the older style tip just because I prefer the older look. The builder you mention is correct. The position lights included in this package comply with visibility requirements so a tail light is not necessary.

fa7mft.jpg

Back