What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wing tip light shield?

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
Has anyone done a light shield before on the wing tips of an RV-8 that’s common in certified planes? I love to fly at night and love my flyLED lights but the strobes can get annoying if visually clearing through my 3/9. What I found is that the lenses transmit just enough light through the side that it leaks towards the cockpit. Any other ideas? Or any pics of this installed on your airplane?

I am also worried about getting it right so it doesn’t affect cruise or aerobatic flight. I know aerobatic bonanzas have these on their wing tips so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Has anyone done a light shield before on the wing tips of an RV-8 that’s common in certified planes? I love to fly at night and love my flyLED lights but the strobes can get annoying if visually clearing through my 3/9. What I found is that the lenses transmit just enough light through the side that it leaks towards the cockpit. Any other ideas? Or any pics of this installed on your airplane?

I am also worried about getting it right so it doesn’t affect cruise or aerobatic flight. I know aerobatic bonanzas have these on their wing tips so it shouldn’t be a problem.
Maybe the geometry is different between your 8 and my 10. At night I can barely see my fiberglass wingtips light up from the inside of them. If it bothered me I'd pull the tips and spray their insides with dark paint.

Back