What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rudder Bend Radius?

wfinnell

Well Known Member
I am a little embarrassed but I can't find the bend radius of the trailing edge for the RV-8 rudder. Section 5G in the instructions states ?The plans pages have drawings that show the proper radius that needs to be achieved on the final bend?. I have looked very closely at DWG 7 but can?t find it. It feels a little bit like when I am looking for the peanut butter in the pantry. I look and look then my wife walks up and picks it up without even looking. She usually rolls her eyes as she hands the peanut butter to me. :rolleyes:

A clue in the form of a drawing zone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Finnell
RV-8, Tail Kit
Tucson

The key to getting the proper bend radius is to get it tight enough that the skin lays completely flat & relaxed down to the main spar by itself. Do this a little at a time so that you don't "kink" the trailing edge.

Take a 1/8 inch wood dowel rod, duct tape it into the trailing edge and bend around that. This will give you a good radius, and prevent you from pinching the bend flat. Make the big bend with the homemade bending brake in the planes, then use the hand seamers to tweak it.

Back