What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rear Seat Fibreglass Top

Bob McAuliffe

Has anyone had experience with fitting the fibreglass rear-seat top in the RV8?

I'm having difficulty getting the flange of the molded fibreglass piece to fit flush with the bulkhead. Is it supposed to be flush, or can you put a "gasket" in there between the fibreglass flange and the bulkhead?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Bob

Same here...

Mine didn't fit well either. It was okay along the sides but had a tapering gap (up to 3/16") to the top center. Most of it seemed to be caused by the bulkhead being sucked in a bit near the canopy slide well. I filled it in place with epoxy / microbaloon mix (using some sort of barrier to keep it from sticking to the bulkhead) then removed and sanded to get a nice contoured edge.

Mark
RV-8
QB Fuse - Canopy stage

Bob,

I ran into exactly the same thing, and also did what Mark did. I put packaging tape on the bulkhead that the seat rests on, and mixed up a fairly thick mixture of epoxy and micro and put it on the back of the fiberglass seat top. I then put the seat into position, cleaned up the contour of the micro mix along the top of the seat, and let it cure. A little bit of sanding and paint, and now it fits and looks great. My gap at top was also probably around 3/16".

Mark
RV-8
DAR inspection on Tuesday.

Back