What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 prices

Just simply for discussion here, but is it just me or are RV-8’s just continuing to go up in price? It seems like those simple panel, “nothing really special” birds that were in the 120k range, now have asking prices of 150-160k. On top of that, the nicer or above average equipped -8’s are priced like F-1 Rockets at 200k or more. Wow! Are sellers actually getting this type of money for their -8’s? Again, just a discussion point.

Start pricing kits. 50k for a slow build plus another 10k for firewall forward. Engines are 40-55 new. Constant speed prop is over 10k. Already at 110–125. Then there’s paint, interior, avionics, tools. There’s another 20-50.

They’re getting the sum of parts just like always. Not sure what the surprise is about the current fetching prices.

I was looking at -8 asking prices a few days ago on both Barnstormers and TAP and was blown away by how high they’re going. When I “finished” my RV-8 QB in 2006, I did some rough numbers to come up with an approximate price tag; with a used but field overhauled engine, no paint and a VFR panel I was up to about $65k. Here we are almost 18 years later and now I have paint, an upgraded Garmin IFR panel with A/P and a 2200 hr SMOH, 300 STOH engine. What’s it worth? I’d guess I have around $100k in it now, but, here’s the problem; replacement cost and insurance. If I insure it for let’s say $110k to keep the premiums down, if I have a hull loss there’s no way I can buy a replacement at that price. As noted above, I couldn’t build a replacement for this price. So, I guess I gotta value it higher and get stuck paying much higher premiums… I recall my early insurance cost being around $1000/year. But, with both insurance rates and values going up, I’m at around $1800+/year, and that’s with having 30000 hrs total time and maybe 3000 hrs tailwheel. I’m coming up for renewal soon and I’m sure my premiums will bump up again… ouch.

They are and the reasons are simple. Everything in them is going up and in some cases, difficult to get. Combine that with the fact that a "nothing really special" RV-8 is really an incredible airplane when compared to any of its competition.
This right here is the biggest factor. It was a best kept secret but look at RV-10 prices now when certified guys decided to sell their cirrus for a 10

I was looking at -8 asking prices a few days ago on both Barnstormers and TAP and was blown away by how high they’re going. When I “finished” my RV-8 QB in 2006, I did some rough numbers to come up with an approximate price tag; with a used but field overhauled engine, no paint and a VFR panel I was up to about $65k. Here we are almost 18 years later and now I have paint, an upgraded Garmin IFR panel with A/P and a 2200 hr SMOH, 300 STOH engine. What’s it worth? I’d guess I have around $100k in it now, but, here’s the problem; replacement cost and insurance. If I insure it for let’s say $110k to keep the premiums down, if I have a hull loss there’s no way I can buy a replacement at that price. As noted above, I couldn’t build a replacement for this price. So, I guess I gotta value it higher and get stuck paying much higher premiums… I recall my early insurance cost being around $1000/year. But, with both insurance rates and values going up, I’m at around $1800+/year, and that’s with having 30000 hrs total time and maybe 3000 hrs tailwheel. I’m coming up for renewal soon and I’m sure my premiums will bump up again… ouch.
I built my -8 between 1999 and 2005. I did a quick review of what it would cost to build it again and it came in at around $185k (quick build, new engine, new avionics, new C/S prop, new paint). To be honest, I couldn't afford to build it today which is a sad thought. But, as always, try buying any certified aircraft that even comes close in performance and the -8 is still a bargain. If I see an -8 listed anywhere for sale for $100k, I quickly turn the page.

Chris

Our airplanes are about the same generation, and I thought I’d built the most expensive RV-8 around back in 2005. By the time it rolled out of Grady’s paint shop, I had about $115K into it - new motor, IFR, nice interior…..That woudl barely buy a kit, motor, prop, and radio today! I hope the prices stay up - when the Rocket is done, I doubt I’ll have a need for TWO two-seat Tandems….. 😉

Last edited:
Que intellectual analytical poster postulating that prices are where they are expected to be based on a comparative scrutiny of the rate of inflation versus kit prices over the past twenty years.

or something like that which I’m too lazy to perform myself.

Edit: Seriously… I feel the pain expressed. I feel fortunate to have recently purchased my 9 after watching prices with dismay over the past 18+ months. There are still some good bargains that pop up. But they go quickly.

Last edited:
A bit off the initial topic but I had my 2004 -8 insured at $99k hull value for years. That was a bit less than my initial investment. After a full panel upgrade along with the rapid increase in value, I decided last year to up my hull value to $180k. I was pleasantly surprised that my premium only increase about 10%. I had a similar experience with my homeowner’s insurance but that’s another story!

Back