What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 parachute

I am looking at purchasing an RV-8 and need to figure out the parachute situation.

Are most guys using seat or backpack parachutes for the front seat? I am
6'1" and the front of the RV-8's that I have sat in are already a little tight as far as knee/panel space goes.

Also, are you taking out the seat cushion(s) when you wear the chute?

Thanks,

Tom

Luscombe Skypal (now)
RV-8 (soon, I hope)

Tom,
I have an 8 and use a Softie backpack rig. I remove the seatback cushion and the fit is a wash. The 'chute is about the same thickness as the cushion.

It kinda depends on the seats/cushions installed... if it's the standard Van's metal seatback with removable cushions, you could use either a back or seat pack chute. If it's a Classic Aero interior with the combined cushion and frame assembly, you can't just yank out the back cushion and replace with a backpack chute, it needs a seat pack.

I have the Classic Aero seats, so I bought a Strong seat pack model and just pull out the bottom cushions. The seat well is a bit too deep to sit on just the seat pack, so I built up a wedge of hard foam to raise my butt up a bit. Works great with plenty of leg room and panel clearance.

Back