What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 on a Dirt Strip

PandaCub

Things have finally dried up here in Wyoming and most of the charted dirt/gravel/grass runways are accessible again. While I've landed at many of these in a Cub (recently sold), I've been hesitant to touch down in my RV-8 with the factory setup. However, a winter upgrade to Sky Designs' 6.00-6 wheels and fairings had me curious how the RV would perform at a nearby dirt runway (49U).

Initial thoughts:

1). After growing accustom the Cub's 29" bushwheels and shock absorbers, the landing roll-out on the RV-8 naturally seemed rough by comparison (although at no time did I feel like I'd lose directional control or damage the aircraft/fairings).

2). Honing short-field techniques to minimize touch-down speed and ground roll is always a good idea.

3). During takeoff I avoid full throttle until the aircraft is moving along briskly (there's nothing like full RPM at standstill to send rocks into your prop, fuselage, or neighbors).

4). Obviously, my personal minimums (runway length, conditions, etc) have increased accordingly.

5). The speed penalty for the larger wheels/fairings is much less than I expected - maybe 2 or 3 knots max - far better than leaving the fairings off, which is more like a 10 - 15 knot reduction. I flight plan for 160 KTAS @ 9 gph ROP (and usually get a little better than that).

My conclusion is that while the RV-8 is no bush plane, the Sky Designs tires and fairings open up a lot of possibilities if one uses proper technique - all of which should be practiced beforehand. I'll add that there is NO WAY I would have landed at this strip with the original wheels and fairings; they would have busted for sure (note photo of the whopping 1" clearance from the pavement). Thanks to Sky Designs, my mains are none the worse for wear and I look forward to seeing Johnson and Moose Creeks again (but cruising at 160 knots instead of 90! ;-)

Check out the photos below to see this particular airstrip's characteristics:

Attachments

• IMG_7753.jpeg
    IMG_7753.jpeg
    731 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_7751.jpeg
    IMG_7751.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7754 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7754 (1).jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7763.jpeg
    IMG_7763.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1547 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1547 (1).jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7764.jpeg
    IMG_7764.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7765.jpeg
    IMG_7765.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Interesting the TAS difference is so minimal with the Sky Designs fairings. I think 2 key points are landing roll out - don't try make the -8 a STOL plane, choose runway lengths long enough, and side brush - being a low wing you still can't go into most back country strips as your wing tips will be ripped off.

The new wheels do open up more options for those who fly into areas where grass and gravel strips are the norm, as well as winter flying where some ice-up and snow drift on runways pulls the lower fairings off or clogs up the brakes.

Last edited:
Thanks, John, for posting the photos. Thanks to both you and Michael for sharing your "real-world" experience.

Dang, I have to say, you're taking the -8 into some pretty rugged places. By comparison, Garden Valley or Johnson Creek would be a total breeze! Your assessment of the fairings is exactly what I would have expected and is in-line with my "design intent".

As a teenager, I used to follow auto racing and remember reading that folks said of the Porsche 935, "You can't make a racehorse out of a pig...but you can make an awfully fast pig!" (Those with a background in motorsports have likely heard that saying before.) In any case, I think it applies here: You can't make an RV-8 into a bush plane.

I went middle of the road and replaced my 500x5's with the larger 380X150 tires while still retaining my original 5" wheels/brakes. Opened up the PR wheelpants to accomodate the larger tires. I did not notice any measurable speed loss, but ground handling and soft field performance improved considerably.

I went middle of the road and replaced my 500x5's with the larger 380X150 tires while still retaining my original 5" wheels/brakes. Opened up the PR wheelpants to accomodate the larger tires. I did not notice any measurable speed loss, but ground handling and soft field performance improved considerably.

+1. I live on a grass strip so needed more flotation. Sky Designs wasn’t an option when I did the upgrade but I’ve been very happy with the 380x150’s.

John,
Thanks for posting this. That's a pretty gnarly strip of runway. Any chance you have a side picture of your whole plane so we can see what the Sky Design fairings look like overall? I have a pair ready to install and am looking for a good pic to see how they look. They obviously work! Thanks for sharing.

Any chance you have a side picture of your whole plane so we can see what the Sky Design fairings look like overall?.

Yes, here are some photos of the setup. After much experimentation, my current favorite RV-8 landing gear combo is Sky Designs mains along with the Condor2 pneumatic tailwheel from Flyboy Accessories. This allows operation on a much wider variety of airstrips with only a 2 - 3 knot reduction in cruise from my previous factory setup. Another bonus is that the Sky Designs comes with nifty wheel jack plates whereby attaching the included bolts allows you to use conventional jacks to raise the wheel(s) off the ground - a great feature when a wing jack is miles away.

My love/hate relationship with the Condor tailwheel is back to love, now that I've solved(?) its former shimmy problem. That experience will be detailed in a future post.

The attached screenshot is a pretty typical ROP economy cruise with this gear combination.

Attachments

• IMG_7867.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7868.jpg
    IMG_7868.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7864.jpg
    IMG_7864.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230402_101021.jpg
    20230402_101021.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Yes, here are some photos of the setup. After much experimentation, my current favorite RV-8 landing gear combo is Sky Designs mains along with the Condor2 pneumatic tailwheel from Flyboy Accessories. This allows operation on a much wider variety of airstrips with only a 2 - 3 knot reduction in cruise from my previous factory setup. Another bonus is that the Sky Designs comes with nifty wheel jack plates whereby attaching the included bolts allows you to use conventional jacks to raise the wheel(s) off the ground - a great feature when a wing jack is miles away.

My love/hate relationship with the Condor tailwheel is back to love, now that I've solved(?) its former shimmy problem. That experience will be detailed in a future post.

The attached screenshot is a pretty typical ROP economy cruise with this gear combination.

So do you think the slight reduction in speed is due to the larger tires, the wheel pants themselves, or a combination of the two? The reason I ask is that I’m installing the upgraded S.D. landing gear on my -8 which also includes their wheel pants, but planning on staying with the standard size tires. I may go with the 380’s, but for now the plan is to stay with the standard tires. However, on my -14 build, I’m going with both the S.D. wheel pants and the larger 6.00/6 wheel/tires, so I’m just curious as to where you think the couple of knot loss in speed is coming from?? If the speed loss is coming from the wheel pants, then I’ll definitely put the 380’s on the -8, but if it’s coming from the tires, I may just stay with the standard size tires.

Back