What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Front Seat vs. RV-4 Front Seat

Niteflyer

Hello!

I am very near to completion of my RV8A only to discover that the rear cockpit occupant has little to no room for his/her legs due to the construction techniques I used in building a panel for the throttle/prop/fuel cutoff which extends to the rear cockpit.

I also devised a braking system for the rear cockpit which has limited access due to the clearance allowed on each side of the front cockpit seat for the rear seat occupant.

Does anyone know if the front cockpit seat for a RV4 is smaller/more narrow than the seat for a RV8?

If that is the case, I can modify a RV4 front seat to install in the front of my RV8.

Any advice/answers are appreciated.

Salute!

Niteflyer

Hello!

I am very near to completion of my RV8A only to discover that the rear cockpit occupant has little to no room for his/her legs due to the construction techniques I used in building a panel for the throttle/prop/fuel cutoff which extends to the rear cockpit.

I also devised a braking system for the rear cockpit which has limited access due to the clearance allowed on each side of the front cockpit seat for the rear seat occupant.

Does anyone know if the front cockpit seat for a RV4 is smaller/more narrow than the seat for a RV8?

If that is the case, I can modify a RV4 front seat to install in the front of my RV8.

Any advice/answers are appreciated.

Salute!

Niteflyer

I can't imagine that the 4, which I am building, is anywhere near as wide as the 8. It must be smaller. When you fly the 4 from the back you are kicking the pilot in the ribs when you move the pedals (if there are any, which in most 4s there aren't). I could give you measurements when I get home tonight if nobody else has by then. The 4 is a stretched 3, so very cramped.

If you are really unhappy I will trade you my 4, which does not have the throttle installed yet, so you can customize it to your taste and I will make do with your 8. That's just the kind of guy I am! :D

Back