What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Electric Aileron Trim on Pre-punched Fuselage

N804RV

Well Known Member
Anyone else discover that a good portion of the instructions and drawing for the electric aileron trim kit are not applicable for the pre-punched fuselage kit?

I was trying to figure out what the instructions were talking about "cutting" a hole in the seat ribs. It looks like the hole is already there along with a couple of pre-punched rivet holes to precisely locate the trim servo mount and servo output rod. All I need to do is match-drill everything and put it together.

Anyone see anything different?

Anyone else discover that a good portion of the instructions and drawing for the electric aileron trim kit are not applicable for the pre-punched fuselage kit?

I was trying to figure out what the instructions were talking about "cutting" a hole in the seat ribs. It looks like the hole is already there along with a couple of pre-punched rivet holes to precisely locate the trim servo mount and servo output rod. All I need to do is match-drill everything and put it together.

Anyone see anything different?

I haven't made it as far as you, but the directions related to the electric trim option are not great in the elevator documentation either. IMHO

I haven't made it as far as you, but the directions related to the electric trim option are not great in the elevator documentation either. IMHO

Yeah, I had to get on the phone with one of the tech support guys to figure out which kit I needed. Apparently, there are 3 different pitch trim servo kits. Which one you get depends on when your empennage kit shipped. The major difference was the dimensions of the trim tab control horn.

I was just surprised my instructions for the aileron trim kit appeared to detail in depth instructions for creating the hole through the sear ribs and locating the mounting brackets. But, it looks like if you have the pre-punched fuselage kit, all of that is already taken care of. It appears to me I just need to match-drill the mounting brackets onto the seat ribs and then hook everything up.

Back