What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Cockpits??

IrishRV8Builder

I'm New Here
Hi,
I just wanted to ask about how big the cockpits are in the RV-8. I am currently looking into purchasing the kit from Vans but i wanted to make sure the cockpit could accomodate my 6ft 4 father comfortably and myself 6ft 3, and weight of 240lbs and 230lbs respectively. I cannot seem to find anyone who lives near me that has RV-8 to see what its like.

Many Thanks

Chris

No problem. Trust me.

I'm 6'3", and up until last winter weighed in at 350 lbs. I have since lost over 100 lbs (what a performance boost!!!), but still am 250 lbs. Tons of room.

Cheers

For me, the "room" issue is width.

There is plenty of room between the side skins, but the canopy rails mount on horizontal members that really narrow down the shoulder room.

You might want to double check the shoulder room.

The fastback conversion by Show Planes helps a lot in this area.

Not to mention it just makes the plane look better:D

For me, the "room" issue is width.

I measured my cockpit width a couple of weeks ago for someone who is on the large size and was surprised to see that it's only 24" between the side rails. I'm only 6'1" and 220 and have plenty of side room and headroom.

Not to mention it just makes the plane look better:D

Ahhh...and you like the P-51B better than the P-51D?

What can we expect from a -10 builder!:p

Seriously Chris - I have seen lots of people your size get in and out of their -8's. they seem to fit fine. The front seat is almost cavernous for us mid-sized guys....

Last edited:
Paul, any P-51 is a thing of beauty. And, I was not saying that Val isnt one also.;)

I am just under 6', wrong side of 300#.:(

I can get in and out of an 8 just fine, only issue is I can not reach the throttle, and the stick at the same time, unless I turn a bit sideways. Arms up on the side rails, just fine. Throttle, or stick, no problem.

I plan on building an 8 someday------and the Show Planes tip over canopy is on my "must have" list.

Last edited:
Showplanes tip over canopy

Mike,
Please put in your mind now, and until you build your 8, that you will install an RV-4 type roll over bar for the safety of you and your passenger. I saw a beautiful Super 8 at Oshkosh a couple of years back. The plane's workmanship was beyond compare. It was a fastback with a tip-over canopy. It might have been the Show Planes mod. In any case, there was no provision to protect the occupants from a rollover. Insane!
OBTW.....The P-51D is my hands down favorite!

Last edited:
greetings from fellow irishman

Hi Chris my name is cyril I am from westmeath but live in New york i recently completed an rv8a with a friend of mine and you will have no problem fitting into an 8. We built an 8a with a 200hp Io-360 and c/p hartzell prop performance is exceptional and economy is also good 160kts on about 8.5 gals us. do the math for imperial gallons i believe 7.5 + . Good luck with your decision any rv is good but the 8 is my favourite. My email is [email protected] please pm. when you can. I used to fly from abbeyshrule when i lived in Ireland.

cyril

Mike,
Please put in your mind now, and until you build your 8, that you will install an RV-4 type roll over bar for the safety of you and your passenger.

Danny, yep, already planned on that. Thanks for the concern.

I agree, the lack of roll bar isnt a smart thing to do.

Show Planes has a unit available already, welds to the top of the front seat support. Ends up just like a -4.

Again, thanks for the concern.

Back