What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Wing Dimensions?

Naruto

Well Known Member
I am about to start my project but need to decide if I should set up shop in the basement or one car garage. I prefer to set up in the basement first to keep the noise down to help out the neighbors but I would like to now if someone can tell me what the dimension of the completed wings and weight are, so I can see if it will fit through the stair well of my basement? I want to make sure the wings of the RV-7A can be removed from my basement when finished. The preview plans do not have very many dimensions called out.

Last edited:
I just measured my wing and it is 110" long (not including the spar jutting out 5.5") and about 48" wide (without flaps or ailerons installed). If those dimensions don't make it work to get it out of your basement, you might be able to finagle it through your stair well by taking the fuel tank off.

Thanks for the info, I measured 60 inches wide in my stair well so I should end up having an extra foot to spare. I also notice my dryer is 220 VAC, so I can put a good size air compressor in the laundry room without having to rewire the electrical in my basement. Eventually I'll have to clean the single car garage when I work on the fuselage but that is at least a year away. I am trying to minimize having to spring for a hanger and try to build as much as possible at home. By chance, do you know how much each wing will weight? Thanks again for your wing dimensions.

I would say the wings weight between 60 and 80 lbs each, but that is totally a guess. Good call on the 220V compressor. If you can afford the space and price, go for the 60 gallon capacity.

Back