What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A w/320?

ww2planes

Well Known Member
Is anyone out there flying this combo. I was offered a sweet deal on an engine but I am not sure that it is the right engine. Does anyone out there have this in their 7A. I am also at 4700 Field elevation and rarely anywhere near that in density altitude. Thanks.

Bill, There is a guy up in Maine flying a -7 with an O-320-H2AD and she flies fine.

If I wanted a lighter plane, I wouldn't hesitate in installing a 320.

Buy it if you want it.

:) CJ

Bill, Yes that engine will work but there are a couple of drawbacks one being lower cruise speed and less climb performance. The biggie is resale value. If you look at the RVs on the market the airplanes with the max HP sell for 30-40% more money than a comparable small engine airplane. You will save some money now but take a $25.000 or more hit when it is time to sell the airplane. Don

7A with 320

Bill,

I am flying my 7A with a 160hp O-320 with a constant speed prop. I have about 215 hours on it now. It gets the numbers that Van's has on the web site. At 8000' and 75% power I get 165knots. I went with the 320 because I got a great deal on the engine. Had this deal not come along I was planning on 180hp with a fixed pitch. The constant speed prop gives a big advantage in climb and in slowing the airplane down in the pattern. I have flown along side a 6 with 180 fixed pitch and he was running slightly higher rpms to keep up.

As for resale value, I didn't build the airplane to sell it. I was already offered more than I thought I would ask for it and of course turned it down. When I hit TBO it will become an IO-340 Stroker and make 185 hp. Untill then 160 is just fine and is a very smooth engine.

If you're ever in the Chicago area let me know, I'll take you up and give you first hand experience.

Good Information

Thanks to all. These are all good points. Pete, do you have any cg problems? The idea of a 340 mod is a good one. I had not thought about that. I will have to go through this motor anyway and I might just do the conversion.

Hey Pete, you should come down to Bloomington sometime with your airplane. There are several building -7's here, and and some (including me) have thought about the 320. We do a breakfast at our chapter hanger every Saturday morning if you're looking for someplace to go! We'd pick your brain on the 320 install... ;)

Build "your" plane

Don't let the pressure of engines and glass panels dictate your build. My
RV-7A will be built 10's of thousands less than the majority. If I ever decided to sell, I would be able to find a buyer easy for my aircraft that sports a 320 and smokes the average 360 setup. :D

Last edited:
Now there is a challenge

If ever I heard one... ;)

Frank...Wishing it would stop raining so I could go flying!

Bloomington

Chad,

I will be down for breakfast some time soon. Next week is our young eagles day so maybe the following weekend. I'll let you know.

Bill,

I have no problem with cg. It is almost impossible to load the airplane out of cg unless I put more than 100lbs in the bagage area. If you had a light wood prop I would think cg would be an issue.

pdecraene7a said:
Chad,

I will be down for breakfast some time soon. Next week is our young eagles day so maybe the following weekend. I'll let you know.
Sounds great! We'd love to see you down here! :cool:

Back