What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7a versus RV-10

Paul K

Well Known Member
I own and fly a RV-7a and now am approaching 200 hrs PIC time so I'm starting to get to know it pretty well.

Tonight, a friend let me fly his new award winning RV-10 an I am very pleasantly surprised how it performed. Some observations;

1 it eccelerates and climbs like a RV!
2 the controls are heavier than I expected, mostly the roll forces
3 trim is much more critical than on the 7
4 visibility is much better than in the 7, sits higher but has lots more head room
5 much quieter than my 7, a whole lot quieter!
6 much smoother also!
7 a lot more room in the cabin to move around in
8 v speeds are a little higher but comfortable and easy to manage

It was easy to land and tracked very well with just the rudder. All in all, an easy transition. The 10 is a beautiful design. If my 7 is a sports car, the 10 is definitely a luxury car.

I think I'm in love again!

A friend at our home field of Livermore, CA built a 7a and then a 10. Once he flew the 10, the 7 was for sale. He almost never uses the extra space but for him he prefers it's flight characteristics. He never did aerobatics in the 7 and seldom uses the extra load in the 10 so it's just about how it feels for him.

Thanks for posting this, Paul. Interesting read as a 7A owner and -10 builder who has never flown in one before:D

The ten is really unique. I've flown many models of light planes and after awhile you just sit there thinking about what you don't like about them. Sluggish, twitchy, slow, bad vis, ground hogs, etc. In the ten there's nothing to complain about except maybe a shimmy here and there.

aerhed, I can't find anything I dint like about the 10!

jjconstant, I am in trouble and know it. Like I said, I am in love again!

rieffler, silly me.

60av8tor, Your welcome :)

Both

I have built both of them, and every time I get in each of them I realize how much I like both of them. They have different missions and flight capabilities/characteristics, but are superb in their own way.
My wife likes the ride of the 10 better, as it rides the bumps easier and rolls more gently. And the cargo capacity speaks for itself in the 10. Rivals some SUV's when used as a 2-seater.

Vic

Paul,
I have owned an RV-6A and an RV-8. I sold both in the last year, and recently bought an RV-10. I am very pleased. A great plane for sure. I find that it is more stable platform in general. But you do know it is an RV!! You won't be disappointed.

Back