What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A tip up canopy leaking around front hinges

fkyser

I'm New Here
We finished our N30FK in March 2012. I have not flew it in rain yet but when I wash it it leaks around the front hinges. We put the sealer strip that vans supplied across the front, and even put some rtv around the hinges but it still leaks. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you fix it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, it leaks like a minnow seine...

That is unless you ask the factory. They say it does not leak even in the Pacific North West. That is honestly what I heard Ken with my own ears say to a prospective RV14 builder at Osh. Guess that is why they did not address this issue at all with the RV14.

You can slow it down but I doubt due to the design it is possible to completely stop the leaks.

One suggestion that I am looking into is to build a gutter on both sides of the subpanel when I redo my panel. I will make drains in it so the water goes overboard instead of directly into the $$$ avionics.

Just wait till you are caught in a shower, land and then open up the canopy....all that water on the canopy goes straight into the panel area. I have a ripstop nylon cover over this area for this issue.

I used the seal supplied by Vans in the kit. It is a teardrop shaped seal, not the white P seal that is on the sides against the canopy rails.

Thanks for the input. I have got to fix it someway as I have over 20k invested in the dash with the twin 10" skyviews and garmin radio's etc. I really do appreciate your advise and help. I do believe Vans could have come up with a better design on this though.

I wonder if Vans has fixed the leak issue on the new RV14...would make sense.

Nope, if anything it will be worse since the top fwd skin on the prototype has slots in it with vinyl stickers covering em. I checked this out pretty strongly at Osh and it appears they made no attempt to fix it. Check out post #2 in this thread.

I would have thought they would have went to more of an RV12 type design but guess not.

What I've Found

The cowl skin on my 9A sits a little higher than the skin of the tip-up. Flying thru rain has not been an issue so far. On a couple of occasions, I've penetrated some heavy ( actually took my headset off to listen to the noise) rain which resulted in drops of water landing on my feet. That was a little disconcerting during an ILS approach wondering if my radios were going to puke. It's not something I'll likely do again. In any event, I'm confident of the integrity of the cabin in flight, in light to moderate rain. When parking, I use painters tape to cover the canopy seams, as they're prone to leaking when the water is coming from above. Same is true with washing the plane. Also, mention was made of opening the canopy while the rain is falling. I agree, it could be an issue.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I am still quite a ways from choosing my canopy option but thus thread has got new thinking. Would the slider option be better for leaks ? Are there other after market solutions even going as far as a differently designed canopy? Thanks

Not really much of an issue...

In practice I have found water infiltration to be mostly a non issue in flight. The majority of water comes in when opening a wet canopy. When I wash the plane I put dry wash rags in the air inlets and I dry the canopy and top deck before getting in for a 'dry the plane flight.

In flight through extended rain I get a small amount of infiltration on the back of the sub panel around the hinges. From another post it looks like I could do a bit work here.

I wish I could find a solution for the entire length of this area; I just can't get any sort of weatherstripping to stay in this location. Eventually it ends up all wadded up outside the plane and I just pull it off.

I'm not there yet

I want to build a tip up for visibility and access. I am wondering, would a piece of ceconite that's bonded where the seal goes and again on the underside of the canopy frame work? The stuff is really cheap, if you need to get in there just cut it out or un bond it with MEK. Have it go to a gutter, or some other "drain path" as the certified big manufactures call it. It doesn't need to be shrunk, U.V. protection is a not issue because it's not structural. Treat it with silicone spray. Freezing water may be an issue if it pools. Thoughts?

Back