What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Throttle & Mixture Cable Length IO360M1B and IO360A1B6

I trial fitted the 50.5" ACS mixture and throttle cables supplied in the firewall forward kit to my IO 360 M1B and they are too short. Another 4" in length would make them perfect. I am not using a quadrant, and these are the stock push pull cables.

I have moved the locations of the cables approx 1'' higher on my panel as compared to the factory designed panel, but I would think that would add only an additional 1/2" length requirement at most. All firewall penetrations for the cables are per plan.

If the 50.5" cables work on a stock panel, they certainly would be way too tight.

Has any body else had a problem with mixture and throttle cable length with the IO 360 M1B and IO360A1B6?.

These are the new factory lyc's that Vans distributes, and supossedly their FF forward kits should work perfect with these engines. Is this another problem that the builder needs to resolve because the manufacturer hasn't corrected a design issue?

I had problems with both of those but only hooking up the throttle and mounting it away from the exhaust so it wouldn't overheat and the mixture was bumping my airbox at full idle cut off and it took an expert to help me get it right.

I also misrouted one of those after removing and then replacing my rudder assy's. I think it was the throttle I went thru and not up and over or vis versa.

Depends on throttle body

My cables were too short mainly because the Airflow Performance body is longer...I had to make extensions...Namely coupling nuts and a length of #10*32 althread from NAPA or Fastenal. don't forget a locknut on each side of the coupling nut.

But the extension work great and can be tailor made to length.

Frank
7a, FF sump AFP

A bit of caution here.

frankh said:
a length of #10*32 althread from NAPA or Fastenal.

All thread is notoriously weak, and the longer of a piece you use only makes it worse.

You can use it to "Jig" up a part, then use the all thread as a pattern to make up one from round stock, threaded as needed.

A length of all thread can also be stiffened up quite a bit by sliding a length of reinforcing tube over it and locking into place with washers and jam nuts.

Carbon fiber or steel tube work well.

Mike

Back