What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Stall Speeds

David-aviator

Well Known Member
I did a stall series yesterday to confirm the approach speeds I've been using.

Clean, it broke at 55 KIAS. With 10 degrees flaps it quit at 49 KIAS.

I like 10 flaps for landing so 49 KIAS is the base number...65 KIAS is very comfortable for approach unless it is gusty....quite close to what has been the policy. Landing flaps is a matter of technique. Ten works best for me.

Just wondering how the VSo's compare to other 7's, or other RV's for that matter?

I did a stall series yesterday to confirm the approach speeds I've been using.

Clean, it broke at 55 KIAS. With 10 degrees flaps it quit at 49 KIAS.

I like 10 flaps for landing so 49 KIAS is the base number...65 KIAS is very comfortable for approach unless it is gusty....quite close to what has been the policy. Landing flaps is a matter of technique. Ten works best for me.

Just wondering how the VSo's compare to other 7's, or other RV's for that matter?

RV 7A.

Clean Stall, no power, 58 kts
Flap 40 degree / 100%, no power, 51 kts

I can probably dig out the other data flap settings if you need it.

Carl

Here's mine

Hi David,

My 7 stalls at 53 clean and 45- 47 with flaps. I think the margin of error has to be 2-3kts based on conditions and technique.

I agree that 65 is perfect. Any faster and I'm downnnnnnnnn the runway!!!

Im in MPH, but...

I just changed my prop and it made a world of difference, I've been working the pattern at 100,90,80 on final full flaps(mph). I had to add some weight to the front to get my CG squared away as well to get a nose down attitude.

70mph is too slow, 75mph (65kn) I'll have to try.

David,
What is the empty weight of your airplane? Also, what was the Gross Weight when you did your stall test. I have been set back by our Iowa winter, but am progressing o.k. now. Gen III installed and some taxi tests completed O.K. My MAP does not indicate correctly 15 psi static 7 psi engine running at idle. Not sure how to correct now? Am attempting to determine if my Pitot/Static system will work. I am going to attempt to place an inflated balloon on the pitot and see if I get a reading and see if it stays(no leaks). I will attempt to use a syringe (I can get these from my veterinarian)on the static port in a negative manner to see if I get a response on the static instruments. Comments?
John Stiegelmeyer

RV-7A

Mine stalls clean at 59 MPH and full flaps 54 MPH no power. I approach at 75-80 MPH indicated, the sink rate gets excessive below that...

Back