What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A rudder

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I completed my build in 2005 and am thinking of building a new rudder because of cracks at the forward edge of a couple of stiffeners. The rudder skin is .016 and the aft edge has the AEX wedge.

Is this the current rudder construction or have the skins been beefed up to .020? I thought some posts mentioned using an 8 rudder. Options? Suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Mike, don't quote me on this, but I think the rudder for the RV-8 is the same one on the 7. I bought my empennage kit early in 2007 and the rudder has .020" skins. I remember hearing at the time that the .016" skins were awfully thin and prone to cracking, hence the upgrade to a little bit thicker material. Mine, too, has the AEX wedge. I don't think anything has changed since then.

The very early 7 rudder was the same as the 8 (.020 and bent TE), Van's changed the 7 rudder to the larger 9 design (.016 and riveted TE) to improve spin recovery. The 9 rudder is also a bit wider and taller than the 8 rudder.

Van's sent new 9 rudders to early builders free if they wanted one.

They have that "New" rudder available in a kit. It costs $370 for everything including tips. I am rebuilding my rudder and opted to buy just the skins, stiffeners, wedge and some proseal. Total parts came to $180. I plan to re-use my current framework and tips. I couldn't tell you the skin thickness though...

I completed my build in 2005 and am thinking of building a new rudder because of cracks at the forward edge of a couple of stiffeners. The rudder skin is .016 and the aft edge has the AEX wedge.

Is this the current rudder construction or have the skins been beefed up to .020? I thought some posts mentioned using an 8 rudder. Options? Suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

My RV-7 empennage, received new from Vans in December 2011 (Kit # 74023) has a rudder with 0.016 skins and the AEX wedge. The majority of the parts have RV-9 part numbers.

Back